Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #1

Share |

ceiling paint what kind?

Hi guys I just wanted to know what happens if I paint the bathroom with regular ceiling paint? I know some are for bathrooms and kitchens but I accidently got the one for living rooms, hallways and rooms so what will happen if I use that in the bathroom?

sammy004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #2

ceiling paint what kind?

If it has a bath or shower you want a paint with mildew/mold inhibitor

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #3

ceiling paint what kind?

The paint might realize that it isn't in the living room, peel off and run away! High quality latex paint from most paint companies (not big box crap) have the maximum amount of mildewcide in them to begin with. I will let you in on a secret, I have sold Paint for over ten years, in every case, except when diyers buy "ceiling paint", the paint on your ceiling is the same that is on your walls. I painted a batroom ceiling 10 years ago with flat wall paint, no mold or mildew since then. "Ceiling Paint" is just a myth perpetuated by paint companies.
PaintinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #4

ceiling paint what kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintinNC View Post
The paint might realize that it isn't in the living room, peel off and run away! High quality latex paint from most paint companies (not big box crap) have the maximum amount of mildewcide in them to begin with. I will let you in on a secret, I have sold Paint for over ten years, in every case, except when diyers buy "ceiling paint", the paint on your ceiling is the same that is on your walls. I painted a batroom ceiling 10 years ago with flat wall paint, no mold or mildew since then. "Ceiling Paint" is just a myth perpetuated by paint companies.
Oh wow so I can get away with it by just painting my bathroom with the paint I have now? It say that it is for living rooms ect. but it will be fine in the bathroom?
Oh and by the way the bats must like thire new painted ceiling?
Quote:
I painted a batroom ceiling 10 years ago with flat wall paint, .
Old 03-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #5

ceiling paint what kind?

as long as the room has good ventilation, I say no problem.......
Old 03-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

ceiling paint what kind?

As mentioned already, any quality flat paint will work on a ceiling, even a bathroom ceiling.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #7

ceiling paint what kind?

alright thanks guys I will do that tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #8

ceiling paint what kind?

Quote:
Nope. I see no connection between "selling paint" for any amount of years and formualtion knowledge of fungicides, bactericides and mildewcides better known in the paint manufacturing industry as 'biocides'. The two aren't connected.

The biocides industry is a huge one; the big guys are all into it: Dow, Degussa, R&H as they have to be...there are two issues here. Biocides put into all latex paints to protect the paint in the can from spoling over time (i.e wet paint) and biocides that are added to prevent fungal growth on the dry paint once it has dried. I personally have sold IPBC, Dow Chemical and Angus Chemical products for paint manufacture - and even 20 years ago they were a big deal then, let alone now.

So to say that bathroom paints are repackaged wall paints is wrong. Especially so in the Southern warmer climates.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #9

ceiling paint what kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Nope. I see no connection between "selling paint" for any amount of years and formualtion knowledge of fungicides, bactericides and mildewcides better known in the paint manufacturing industry as 'biocides'. The two aren't connected.

The biocides industry is a huge one; the big guys are all into it: Dow, Degussa, R&H as they have to be...there are two issues here. Biocides put into all latex paints to protect the paint in the can from spoling over time (i.e wet paint) and biocides that are added to prevent fungal growth on the dry paint once it has dried. I personally have sold IPBC, Dow Chemical and Angus Chemical products for paint manufacture - and even 20 years ago they were a big deal then, let alone now.

So to say that bathroom paints are repackaged wall paints is wrong. Especially so in the Southern warmer climates.
Wow, I didn't Know I was such and idiot! BTW I am not some paint monkey behind the counter at Lowes or Home Depot. I work for Sherwin-Williams and I know all about your biocides, mildewcides, and fungicides. I have been to our plant on numerous occasions, I have seen how our paint is made and I understand the differences between some of our lesser lines and our better paints. The difference between SWP and "other" paint companies is that we educate our people, apparently so we can educate others!

BOTTOM LINE, any high quality latex paint will perform great in a bathroom, paints with sheen are better but not neccesary. If you do not have a mildew problem to begin with, not using "bathroom ceiling paint" will not ruin your ceiling. If you have a mildew problem, fix the CAUSE OF THE MILDEW! and don't blame the paint.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #10

ceiling paint what kind?

Look, PaintinNC, I don't care if you work for SW or Home Depot, whether you're a formulating chemist or just a salesman, the fact remains that all paint manufacturers offer mould and mildew-resisitant paints for bathrooms or high humidity areas - and they add biocides to achieve that qualification. SW is no different.

I am not saying that all bathrooms need mould- and mildew-resistant paints; if you have a mould problem then the obvious thing to do is fix that before you paint and don't be surprised if the mould comes back. And I agree with you there.

And once you fix the mould situation, then any good paint will cover your bathroom ceiling...and if there's any doubt and repainting ceilings is not your favorite pastime, then by all means, apply a mould-resistant paint...

As a sidebar, I know of several paint manufacturing plants who relabel and code their raw materials, so that no-one knows what technology they are actually using. For example, a raw material supplier (like us) would ship a drum of Product X to an intermediate plant where they test the raw material for quality the put the product into their own drums and code it with a code name or a code number so nobody knows that "product #1234" is actually the product we shippped to them. So formulating chemists and batch makers only know to add 4lbs of 'Product #1234' per 1000lbs batch - not "we add 4lbs of say, Zinc Omadine from Dow".

Furthermore, it allows visitors to keep their noses out of their business. Certain elements they have to keep secret - even from employees!
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
Sprayboy-services.com

ceiling paint what kind?

You guys play nice or you'll have to go sit in the corner.
Sprayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sprayboy For This Useful Post:
PaintinNC (03-06-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #12

ceiling paint what kind?

Didn't mean for it to get too contentious........ I was just trying to make the point that 99% in paint in bathrooms aren't "Bath" paints. and Don't let someone tell you it has to be or it will fail.