Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Ceiling Paint not what I expected

I've read a few topics on SW Brilliance which I've just used for my bathroom. I'm not a pro but I really think this paint is not right. We did the walls in Superpaint which is awesome and the bead/chair rail in SW ProClassic. Everything looks great except for the ceiling. When I purchased the paint, I didn't put much thought into the ceiling. They just handed me the Brilliance and off I went. It's been a while since I did a ceiling but I really took my time with what I feel was a decent technique. I think most ceilings in my house are BM ceiling white. While most people wouldn't notice the imperfections, I'm pissed I paid a good amount for ceiling white and had some strange textures appear. Thankfully most of it is fine. I distinctly remember having my roller soaked with paint, rolled out a small section and the texture was different from the previous roll. In my opinion, Brilliance is a rip off and not easily applied. The thing that bothers me is that I'll have to hit up another paint store for ceiling paint for future projects. Thanks for letting me vent.

mjarema414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,098

Did you do 2 coats on the ceiling? Brilliance demands it.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
housepaintingny (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 504

yea its the paints fault
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
housepaintingny (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
yea its the paints fault
Yea I knew I'd get some abuse. That's OK though. Just didn't dig how thick it was and how it covered. I did do 2 coats and waited a day before second coat. Like I said, years ago I painted most of my ceilings with a BM ceiling white. I forget which one but all of the ceilings look better than the one I just painted. Maybe the BM is more DIY friendly. For me, Brilliance wasn't worth the money. It may be a different story for someone that paints for a living. I'm sure this the case. Just venting.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjarema414 For This Useful Post:
ltd (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
ltd

Rewards Points: 504

your using s/w that's what i use, personally i would have used super paint satin on a bath ceiling. but if a flat was desired then i would have used super paint flat its much more durable than a dead flat ceiling paint . hey go head and vent, every body should vent now and then.in fact i think i need to vent
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
mjarema414 (04-11-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,144

MJ, I've had lots of trouble with Brilliance which is a reformulation of Classic 99 which I loved. ChrisN gave me a suggestion to try Pittsburgh Paints Ultra ceiling paint. I did, and it was great. Covered up a ceiling in ONE coat.......dead flat. No more Brilliance for me.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
chrisn (04-11-2012), user1007 (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

What nap roller cover did you use?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarema414 View Post
Yea I knew I'd get some abuse. That's OK though. Just didn't dig how thick it was and how it covered. I did do 2 coats and waited a day before second coat. .
Far out! I haven't heard that one in a long time. Dude, just stay away from the brown paint!

I think the ease of use of Brilliance and issues with it have been debated here enough to clear you mj. I'll echo ltd and say I hope a flat in the bath won't be an issue down the road, ceiling fan or not. I'm going to check to see if I can get PPG ceiling ultra, but my go to's for ceilings are BM Muresco, Super Spec flat, and their new waterborne, which I'm using right now. I tried Coronado SuperKote flat, but had too many issues with it. It's a vinyl acrylic that I didn't care for. Muresco is a vinyl as well, but it's a better quality, though I think that's changing. It doesn't seem to be the dead flat it once was, and I've cut back my use of it.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-11-2012), ltd (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Far out! I haven't heard that one in a long time. Dude, just stay away from the brown paint!
Good advice...Will do!
I didn't think to do a satin finish. Good idea. The bathroom is vented but wouldn't want moisture issues down the road. One problem is that everything else is done (walls trim etc.). I'd be a little worried about getting ceiling paint splashed on the walls and cutting in ceiling to wall. It's a small bathroom so I guess if I took my time, it'd be fine. Should only take a few hours. Any tips on taking this on?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
What nap roller cover did you use?
Used a 1/2 nap Wooster. Not the high end one though. I think is was 4.00 at home depot.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #12

Alright, so last night I was taking a shower and noticed some spots particularly on the ceiling cut in that I missed or the paint didn't cover. Alright, I havn't done a ceiling in about 4 years so I will take the blame (although I still dislike Brilliance). I did a coat of primer and 2 coats of Brialliance. Within the spots that didn't cover well, I could see steam/water build up. This is a new small bathroom, new exhaust, window etc. The fan does work really well. Everything missed was more noticable with regard to the ceiling. I've decided that I'm going to go over it with an eggshell or satin paint. Should I do Perma-White eggshell or something else? I'm assuming it wouldn't be an issue going right over the existing paint. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarema414 View Post
Alright, so last night I was taking a shower and noticed some spots particularly on the ceiling cut in that I missed or the paint didn't cover. Alright, I havn't done a ceiling in about 4 years so I will take the blame (although I still dislike Brilliance). I did a coat of primer and 2 coats of Brialliance. Within the spots that didn't cover well, I could see steam/water build up. This is a new small bathroom, new exhaust, window etc. The fan does work really well. Everything missed was more noticable with regard to the ceiling. I've decided that I'm going to go over it with an eggshell or satin paint. Should I do Perma-White eggshell or something else? I'm assuming it wouldn't be an issue going right over the existing paint. Thanks!

no problem going over existing paint, but you REALLY should let it dry for at LEAST a couple days
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn

no problem going over existing paint, but you REALLY should let it dry for at LEAST a couple days
Sounds good Chris. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #15

Any experience with Zinseer ceiling paint? Having a hard time finding perma white in eggshell so I was thinking of using the Zin ceiling paint in my bath. Since there is a coat of primer and 2 coats of paint, I thought this would be fine. It goes on pink and turns bright white flat. Thanks.