Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling paint

Is there something special about ceiling paint that makes it different than any other flat white paint? The painters will be spraying it with an airless sprayer, but I am supplying the paint. Just wondering if I should be looking only at "ceiling paint" or could choose any flat white paint. The painters don't seem to care what I choose.

They will also be spraying a primer coat of Zinsser 123 before painting.

Thanks

bobmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Ceiling paint

You can use wall paint. I seldom ever buy ceiling paint. I guess it is supposed to be a brighter white (but I hate white ceilings anyhow). Some of it comes with a cute indicator and goes on lavender and then turns white. I guess it might save you chimp change per gallon.

Hope you can afford to upgrade your primer. Definitely so if this is new drywall.

You are shopping in a paint store and not a box store right?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:30 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Ceiling paint

Wall paint is fine,it just tends to cost a little more $ than ceiling paint.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Ceiling paint

Yes, you can use a wall paint on your ceiling, its common, a lot of people will go with an off white on the ceiling, a flat finish is suggested on a ceiling. Personally I never use zinsser for anything.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #5

Ceiling paint

OK, if Zinsser isn't a good primer, what should I use?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmg View Post
OK, if Zinsser isn't a good primer, what should I use?
Is your ceiling a repaint or new sheet rock?

KM
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #7

Ceiling paint

The ceiling is 22-year old popcorn. It's never been painted and has turned a dingy yellow.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Ceiling paint

Quote:
The ceiling is 22-year old popcorn. It's never been painted and has turned a dingy yellow.
Ouch. Icky. Hope it holds up to the pressure of the sprayer? Popcorn ceilings are evil things and the true work of the Devil! I have pulled many loose with roller or even brush too though. Usually they got sprayed on paint and texture at once with no primer underneath between them an new drywall.

You sure you don't want to scrape the popcorn loose before attempting this? It may not be as much work as you imagine. If it comes loose in chunks, which usually happens on a ceiling your age, it will cost much more to try and patch it to match.

What does your painter say? Will he/she warrant it possible to get a primer and a couple coats on a 22-year old popcorn ceiling without it blowing apart? I wouldn't. Been through too many nightmares with the stuff.

Last edited by user1007; 01-24-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Ceiling paint

Quote:
Gotcha!! The 123 should work for the primer. Considering you have the popcorn which as Sedester mentioned can be unpredictable as far as painting, you may want to use a quality flat product for your finish coat. Popcorn texture can be difficult to fill in with the paint, especially a lower end ceiling paint. You want to avoid spraying it several times if possible. Less is more in this case.

Kevin
Old 01-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
Gotcha!! The 123 should work for the primer. Considering you have the popcorn which as Sedester mentioned can be unpredictable as far as painting, you may want to use a quality flat product for your finish coat. Popcorn texture can be difficult to fill in with the paint, especially a lower end ceiling paint. You want to avoid spraying it several times if possible. Less is more in this case.
Kevin
Hugh? Not to climb on you Kevin.

123 is still not the primer to use. It is total unsuspecting consumer market crap and overpriced for what it is. It goes on thin, offers minimal coverage and hiding and isn't worth the money.

He still needs a nice primer and two finish coats on his ceiling of whatever sheen he wants (why would flat make any difference although I am sure that is what he has in mind?) and especially if it is so badly yellowed over the years. Whether or not the popcorn ceiling he has can stand up to the painting process, of whatever type is the question.

He may have the 1 in 100,000,000 that was done properly with a nice primer on the drywall behind it. I've gotten lucky every now and then, but not often with one so old and also yellowing. I usually just talk my clients into letting me scrape it all off first. Once I get under it with my long drywall blade, it goes surprisingly fast (square foot a minute or so?) but for the few stubborn spots. Quite a mess of course.

If the OP wants to keep it as is, I do understand your point and the less you touch a 22 year old popcorn ceiling the better but that doesn't mean it doesn't require the same approach as any other paint job does to look like a nice job. He will never cover a yellowed ceiling nicely with crappy primer and one coat of paint.

Last edited by user1007; 01-24-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Hugh? Not to climb on you Kevin.

123 is still not the primer to use. It is total unsuspecting consumer market crap and overpriced for what it is. It goes on thin, offers minimal coverage and hiding and isn't worth the money.

He still needs a nice primer and two finish coats on his ceiling of whatever sheen he wants (why would flat make any difference although I am sure that is what he has in mind?) and especially if it is so badly yellowed over the years. Whether or not the popcorn ceiling he has can stand up to the painting process, of whatever type is the question.

He may have the 1 in 100,000,000 that was done properly with a nice primer on the drywall behind it. I've gotten lucky every now and then, but not often with one so old and also yellowing. I usually just talk my clients into letting me scrape it all off first. Once I get under it with my long drywall blade, it goes surprisingly fast (square foot a minute or so?) but for the few stubborn spots. Quite a mess of course.

If the OP wants to keep it as is, I do understand your point and the less you touch a 22 year old popcorn ceiling the better but that doesn't mean it doesn't require the same approach as any other paint job does to look like a nice job. He will never cover a yellowed ceiling nicely with crappy primer and one coat of paint.
This person has a different view...
http://www.viewpoints.com/Zinser-123...r-review-d9792
Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Ceiling paint

I use 123 a lot and have never had any issues with it. For this situation( if anything is going to work at all) it should be fine. If it were my job and the pop corn could not be removed(that would be my choice) then is really should be spray primed with an oil based primer to make SURE there is no bleed through. I am not sure I would venture putting on any more coats for reasons already mentioned.

Last edited by chrisn; 01-25-2010 at 04:17 AM.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #13
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I use 123 a lot and have never had any issues with it. For this situation( if anything is going to work at all) it should be fine. If it were my job and the pop corn could not be removed(that would be my choice) then is really should be spray primed with an oil based primer to make SURE there is no bleed through. I am not sure I would venture putting on any more coats more reasons already mentioned.

Brilliant thoughts..

Old 01-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #14

Ceiling paint

I have popcorn ceilings in my house, and they soaked up paint like a sponge when I painted them. Also, you might not want to scrape off the popcorn, because many popcorn ceillings (like mine) have asbestos in them.
MrBill_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #15

Ceiling paint

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I did prime the ceiling in one room already with 123 and a roller. The popcorn only came off in one very small spot over the stove (probably loose already from years of steam). The painter says the popcorn is pretty hard and very paintable.

The primer could not get into all the crevices of the ceiling when applied with a roller and looks streaky, and I even gave it a second coat once it had dried. I'm hoping for better coverage with a sprayer.

I did get a bid on scraping the ceilings down, but it exceeded my budget considerably. I may have to reconsider if the painter brings the ceiling down, though. My house was built in '87, so it shouldn't have any asbestos in it.

sdsester, do you have a recommendation for a specific primer?