DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Painting (
-   -   Ceiling paint (

G Archer 01-25-2009 08:04 PM

Ceiling paint
I will be painting an old celetex ceiling in my daughters bedroom.It has small grooves where it is put together.The paint cracks over time in these joints.Is there a ceiling paint with some elasticity to it? Thanks for any help.
Glenn Archer:)

Nestor_Kelebay 01-26-2009 01:12 AM

Not a ceiling paint per se, but there is something called an "elastomeric coating". I have never used an elastomeric coating, so I really don't know if it would be appropriate for your application.

Basically, an elastomeric coating is intended for masonary (usually) buildings which have cracks in them which open and close with the seasons (often due to frost heave). The coating will span across the joint and will stretch as it wides and contract again as it closes. It's kinda like that plastic that the toy "Stretch Armstrong" is made of; it stretches completely out of shape, but always reverts to it's original shape once the forces on it are released.

jaros bros. 01-26-2009 08:08 AM

A good quality latex paint will have good elasticity. Most of the new quality latex paints are almost like plastic. I don't mean the paint you buy for $20 a gallon at HD.

Josh Jaros

sirwired 01-26-2009 09:07 AM

Could you supply a pic? If these are just seams between panels, I think they should be caulked with elastomeric paintable caulk (I use DynaFlex 230) and then topcoated with the mid-grade paint of your choice.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1