Ceiling Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ceiling paint

Had someone paint a basement ceiling on new sheetrock.Their doesnt seem to be any uniformity on ceiling.So ive repainted it 4 times already and still have the same problem.I am being told that the height of the window is the same height as the ceiling remember this is a bsmt.so i want to let as much light as possible in but cant stand to look at ceiling or paint again for that matter.Also the door has blinds in it and like to keep down but in a open position for light.I been a diy painter for 40 yrs and never had a problem.Dont know what to do at this point.Someone please help.Charlie M.,,

Advertisement

CHASMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

ceiling paint

What do you mean by uniformity? Is it streaky? Did they use a fat roller and the pattern is showing? Is it wavy from the joists above?

My first thought is to advise using 1/2" roller, good quality flat paint. Roll into or away from the light of the window and lay off the paint by rolling in one direction on the last roll out. If the joists run perpendicular to the window and if the joists are making the paint look uneven, you're probably stuck with it.

Advertisement

joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASMANN
Had someone paint a basement ceiling on new sheetrock.Their doesnt seem to be any uniformity on ceiling.So ive repainted it 4 times already and still have the same problem.I am being told that the height of the window is the same height as the ceiling remember this is a bsmt.so i want to let as much light as possible in but cant stand to look at ceiling or paint again for that matter.Also the door has blinds in it and like to keep down but in a open position for light.I been a diy painter for 40 yrs and never had a problem.Dont know what to do at this point.Someone please help.Charlie M.,,
Hello Charlie. Do you have any pics?
Have you tried changing some of your products and techniques for each of the 4 coats? Was the ceiling primed?
You could try some of the following;
Alternate directions when u roll. The last coat should be crossing the main light source. Switching the pile in your sleeve. Use a different product. Is the ceiling flat or eggshell?

Define what you mean by uniformity. Colour/coverage. Roller texture. Lumpy Sheetrock. Patches flashing through.?

Hopefully everything works out or at least improves. GL
Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,278

ceiling paint

First off, we need to know what brand/type of paint you used. More info needed.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #5

ceiling paint

OK i used a 3/8 nap purdy white glove roller.I tried to alternate the paint pattern but that didnt help.I used a flat ceiling white BEHR was the brand.Also painted the opposite way of the light source.When i say its not uniform i mean you see that each roller pattern dries differently and when you look up toy see where each roller left off.Thanks for any input Charlie

Last edited by CHASMANN; 02-24-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,674

ceiling paint

OK first in my opinion BEHR ceiling paint has a sheen, at least from what I have seen. What I would suggest is something like ProMar 200 from SW it is about as dead flat as you can get. This means it has no sheen. Ben Moore has one also but I can't think of the name right now. You did not say if you primed or not but it makes no difference now, use the Behr as primer. And up your roller to 1/2" colossus It holds a lot of paint and don't skimp on the paint when applying it.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #7

ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASMANN View Post
OK i used a 3/8 nap purdy white glove roller.I tried to alternate the paint pattern but that didnt help.I used a flat ceiling white BEHR was the brand.Also painted the opposite way of the light source.When i say its not uniform i mean you see that each roller pattern dries differently and when you look up toy see where each roller left off.Thanks for any input Charlie
Two major problems for a 40 year painting veteran. Behr paint? Really? Problem #1. Problem #2, 3/8" inch nap. Although that's not an awful choice, it sure doesn't hold a lot of paint.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

ceiling paint

I don't use Behr so I can't comment on that. But sounds like your paint is setting up too fast and not leveling out. (Winter = heat on. Warm ceilings), doesn't help the situation. Or putting white on white not seeing your wet edge you could be over rolling which would cause it to dry too fast as well.

Assuming its not the product (but it could be).
You could try a light sand on the over built texture.
Start your roll at the light source backing away from it.
Roll quick and try to have your finish strokes ending the same direction. (If your going to see roller start and stops. They might as well be pointing the same way and try to end closer to the edge/wall.
If you see a miss DONT go back in to fix it. You'll see the fix. Don't stop for any reason in fact lol.
Probably won't have to cut in. 4 coats is plenty.
Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

ceiling paint

Sounds like you actually need a bigger knap roller. If the ceiling is wavy, the 3/8 is going to leave roller tracks etc. Also, you might be dry rolling the 3/8 which will also leave tracks. Pro Mar 200 is also my choice for flat paints, but I doubt it is the only reason you're having trouble.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 77

ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
OK first in my opinion BEHR ceiling paint has a sheen, at least from what I have seen. What I would suggest is something like ProMar 200 from SW it is about as dead flat as you can get. This means it has no sheen. Ben Moore has one also but I can't think of the name right now. You did not say if you primed or not but it makes no difference now, use the Behr as primer. And up your roller to 1/2" colossus It holds a lot of paint and don't skimp on the paint when applying it.
Pro Mar 200 should work much better than what you are using. I like the Waterborne ceiling paint made by Ben Moore, it is very forgiving. Definitely use 1/2" roller cover, I like the Wooster Super Fab because of the way it is beveled on the ends. Like other posts have stated, use plenty of paint and don't overwork it.
VAProPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VAProPainter For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #11

ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Two major problems for a 40 year painting veteran. Behr paint? Really? Problem #1. Problem #2, 3/8" inch nap. Although that's not an awful choice, it sure doesn't hold a lot of paint.
I said ive been painting for 40 yrs but i didnt paint i had a painter do it because after 40 yrs of diy im tired of it.Well now back to the paimt he wanted to use BEHRS so i got him what he wanted.He didnt use primer which i always do but it was his job.Anyway after 4 coats does it matter if it was primed all kidding aside i dont know never used anything but a 3/8 on all my painting .Thanks Charlie
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #12

ceiling paint

Charlie, no intentional slam on you personally. It's just that we get about 50 posts a year on the DIYChatroom concerning problems with Behr paint. When I saw that you have painted for 40 years, my antenna went up wondering how a 40 year painting vet allowed Behr paint on his ceiling. Just for the record, Behr is unBEHRable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
CHASMANN (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #13

ceiling paint

I can only laugh about it at this point but i am willing to try to fix it if possible.Any suggestions will be listened to.Thanks to all.Charlie
Old 02-25-2014, 05:04 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASMANN View Post
I can only laugh about it at this point but i am willing to try to fix it if possible.Any suggestions will be listened to.Thanks to all.Charlie

#1 do not ever, ever, hire a supposed "painter" that requests Behr, you now know why

#2 follow previous advise, get a quality 1/2 in nap and some real paint and you will be fine
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
kkeith (02-26-2014), rbriggs82 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 05:21 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 632

ceiling paint

I would have asked him to leave the instant I saw him trying to get away with not priming it.
Primer and paint in one may be fine for painting over a surface that's already been painted before but not for new drywall.

Advertisement