Ceiling Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling paint

What is the best ceiling paint on the market? I am trying to cover roller marks that show through the paint after applying an oil based bin primer. Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get rid of those marks? I don't want to keep painting the ceiling only to not be able to cover those marks!

Advertisement

linda8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

Ceiling paint

it can be a job if you have a lot of them .sand them out ,i like 3m sand paper you can wet sand them out or dry sand them .a razor blade and scrape off ,theirs no book written on the subject so you have to be resourceful,also you could skim over them with spackle or joint compound .but sometimes you just got to say. it is what it is .i'm not saying its the best , but my everyday ceiling paint is sherwin williams super paint .2 coats of flat paint with a 1/2 inch nap cover and i think those roller marks will disappear .as long as you don't look for them . now if you have a texture or swirled ceiling disregard what i said

Advertisement

ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ceiling paint

I wonder why you used Bin ( which isn't oil, but shellac based) - was there a problem like staining?
Not an easy primer to use on a ceiling.
BTW- my fav ceiling paint is BM's Muresco- but if the lines are actually ridges itd has some points.
Might need more info on what the ceiling is ( flat, tex.. etc)
Gymschu (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,278

Ceiling paint

Brushjockey thanks for the heads up on the Muresco. I haven't been to happy with SW's Brilliance flat ceiling paint. The old Classic 99 formula was so much better. It covered ceilings (even textured ceilings) in one coat most of the time. I'm gonna give the Muresco a try. What's the retail price on a gallon?

P.S. Ceilings are one of the most difficult parts of a home to paint. You really have to work quickly to keep a wet edge. All the heat is up near the ceiling so paint dries fast. As you roll, keep that roller loaded up with paint and resist the urge to "press" down (or up) on the roller. Pushing leaves ridges out near the edges of the roller. Gentle pressure is all you need.

Last edited by Gymschu; 11-08-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

Ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Brushjockey thanks for the heads up on the Muresco. I haven't been to happy with SW's Brilliance flat ceiling paint. The old Classic 99 formula was so much better. It covered ceilings (even textured ceilings) in one coat most of the time. I'm gonna give the Muresco a try. What's the retail price on a gallon?

P.S. Ceilings are one of the most difficult parts of a home to paint. You really have to work quickly to keep a wet edge. All the heat is up near the ceiling so paint dries fast. As you roll, keep that roller loaded up with paint and resist the urge to "press" down (or up) on the roller. Pushing leaves ridges out near the edges of the roller. Gentle pressure is all you need.

Not to put Muresco down( because that is what I used until BM moved away) but it is not much better than Brilliance( which I am not REAL happy with either) they both need 2 coats. The Classic 99 is ( was)? the way to go, IMO.
If you ( client) has the $ to spend, give this a try, it is pretty nice, still needs 2 coats.
Attached Images

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,070

Ceiling paint

Muresco's is excellent ceiling paint. I also used Pittsburg's ceiling paint with a company I was with 2 years ago and it was great too.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 536

Ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post

Right. But, a poster earlier posted "why use BIN"? Its one of the best tricks around, IMO. With an especially huge ceiling, BIN is your friend. The "work fast to avoid lap lines from drier paint" is virtually eliminated.

BIN (ethyl alcohol based, not the water based garbage), forms a seal, then in a few hours, when recoating with the flat finish paint, you can take your sweet time- no lap lines, guaranteed. IMO, spending 2X the $$ on National Brands is also a waste. Go by the spec sheet/ingredients, not the brand names, guys. many good private labelers everywhere.........
Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #8

Ceiling paint

But, unfortunately, I havent found a private label brand yet for alc based BIN, dang.........maybe I will start it (idea)??????????
Old 11-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ceiling paint

BTW- this same trick can work with many primer sealers- does not need to be BIN. Also Zinsser Gardz is excellent for this ( on walls too!)
The secret is a good seal.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Ceiling paint

I'm pretty certain SW sells a shellac based ps. If anyone uses Muresco, look to see if you get an slight angular sheen. You shouldn't because it's a dead flat, but the last time I used it I could see one. Wonder if it's changed. I like the new waterborne that Chrisn recs. Worked with it many times and will be next week on a historically difficult ceiling because of strong sidelighting, hope this is the charm.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:18 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

Ceiling paint

I used the new Pittsburgh ceiling paint yesterday and it was great, no spatter, covered well, good stuff and $18 a gal
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,500

Ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I'm pretty certain SW sells a shellac based ps.
Yes but it's very expensive - over $50 retail. And I thought BIN was expensive at $40. I can't match that price at SW even with a discount.

ltd pretty much hit all the nails on the heads with his answer, although I wouldn't be confident all the roller lines would be filled in with 2 coats of SuperPaint. It's possible I guess, especially with a 1/2" roller and generous application. You can get at least 4 mil thickness by going with a 1/2" roller and 275 - 300 sf coverage and 2 coats. The paint is thick enough to apply at that rate. It won't be a super smooth finish, but if you're trying to fill with paint, a super smooth finish is pretty much out of the question. With flat paint on a ceiling, some texture is fine IMO.

I haven't tried Brilliance because at the price I assume it's not very good paint. If a ceiling is a good clean white that's close to SW Extra White, I'll paint with 1 coat of ProMar 400 Extra White. If it's off color or splotchy looking, I'll go with a primer (BIN is great) if needed, and then 1 coat of SuperPaint Extra White will usually do the trick. That is very high hiding paint. Some people think it's too expensive for something like ceiling paint, but it covers in 1 coat so often that it's a great value. If it's a recoat over Extra White, or it's going to need 2 coats, then SuperPaint is a waste of money and I'll use ProMar 400 or 700.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #13

Ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
But, unfortunately, I havent found a private label brand yet for alc based BIN, dang.........maybe I will start it (idea)??????????
I will buy it if it's $30/gal.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #14

Ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
BIN (ethyl alcohol based, not the water based garbage), forms a seal, then in a few hours, when recoating with the flat finish paint, you can take your sweet time- no lap lines, guaranteed.
Don't understand - how does BIN prevent roller lines in the finish coat?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #15

Ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Don't understand - how does BIN prevent roller lines in the finish coat?
Well, its not up to BIN- its up to YOU. Again, like I splained, BIN allows one to paint at a slower/more comfortable rate/speed, so you can feather/paint over the lap lines into NO lap lines. You do have to put on enough paint, for uniform coverage, but hey, if you load it on too heavily, its no good.

If you tried to paint a finish coat without bin on a "porous " ceiling, that job is gonna be harder, as it will soak up the paint so much quicker, and you will have to rush to prevent the lap lines from "drying" out too early. Yes, evn though it takes say, 1-2 hrs to dry , withingseconds, latex/water based paint will start to "tack" up, and thus, lap lines. get it?

good luck, man

Advertisement