Ceiling Old&New Paint Issue - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling Old&New Paint Issue

Hi All!!
In our kitchen, I removed a light fixture to put a different one but found that the ceiling underneath the fixture was not painted, so I searched my basement and found that the previous owner had some paint leftovers and one of them was for the kitchen (did not specifically says ceiling but the color almost matched, visually).

So I took that paint and tried to paint that area hoping it will blend with the existing ceiling paint without issues, left it overnight, and found out that the area I painted was a bit shiny, and did not blend well with the existing paint(a transition in paint color is visible).

After couple of days, I took a piece of the existing old paint right from the drywall to homedepot, they did a color match, and I got a sample to try out, painted that area of the ceiling again, but the color did not really match what I have !!

so now in my kitchen, I've a square shaped area where the paint does not match the entire ceiling.

one of the solutions is to paint the entire ceiling, but the ceiling is connected all the way to the Foyer, so even if I paint the kitchen ceiling, there will be an area where another mismatch will occur...so I'm not really sure if this is a good idea. and I do not want to paint the whole area that started from a little square!!

Any suggestions?

thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by tasmisr; 07-18-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typos
tasmisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Even if you had a container of the original paint, touch-ups that match perfectly are rare.

Depending on how far you went with the new paint and the style of your home you might get away with a ceiling medallion.

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

Trying to touch up old faded or dirty paint with new paint can be difficult. Paints get dirty, loses sheen and fade over time. You are also brushing over an area that could have been rolled or sprayed which could cause the texture of the finished paint to look a little different. I don't think that HD is the best choice when it come to matching paint.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Hey Tasmisr.

I am a paint associate at The Home Depot here in Atlanta. A couple of things to consider...

Was the sample in the BEHR ULTRA? It is not a "dead flat" but a matte flat - which will dry a little different than the existing paint. Looking straight on at the touched up area - does the color seem to be right on? If so, then just have HD duplicate the formula into their BEHR FLAT sample and see how that works.

Another thought is to get a little "touch-up" roller and feather the area out from the center. As you move away from the touched up area - roll until the roller runs dry. This fading out method might do the trick.

Lastly, because of different techniques in applying paint (spraying vs rolling) you may have no choice but to paint the whole ceiling.

I hope this helped.
HDPaintPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Touch ups require a lot of things going in their favor to work and it sounds like you are missing just about every ingredient of that recipe.

I suggest you either paint the entire ceiling or pay a professional to handle this task, of course you could always just live with the imperfection until you are ready to have it done right.

Touching up the next day can sometimes be an impossibility much less X amount of time later, lighting and angles will play a factor and sheen will also so will application method.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

I quilt. I bring this up because if I make a minor mistake in a quilt my eye goes directly to it whenever I look at it. Others never see it unless I point it out.

It might be something you can live with until you re-paint the rooms. I'm normally a perfectionist, but this might be a good time for a good enough effort. After all, How many times have you gone to a friends house and noticed the ceiling?

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote