Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

cedar t$g ceiling - leave unfinished?

Searching for the most environmentally friendly option to finish cedar t&g ceiling boards - e.g. low or no VOC. After a couple hours today surfing around and scanning thru a hundred different opinions - poly, Tung oil, Danish oil, wax, varnish, pickling, etc etc. - my head hurts...

Almost thinking of just putting up the ceiling natural, sanded smooth but no finish. The look is fine without any shine, etc. And I love the smell of the cedar anyway. But I got the impression that there might be an issue with dust collecting up there, or smoke stains (woodstove), etc and I don't want to do this after the ceiling is up. So I'm mostly concerned about maintenance / cleaning.

I would really appreciate any advice - cedar t&g, vaulted ceiling, low(est) VOC's possible, and minimal changes to natural appearance of the wood (i.e. flat / matte finish).

thanks

Last edited by rtoni; 08-09-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: i am brain dead
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:18 AM   #2

Acrylic Lacquer would be my suggestion to you. I have used Lacquer in years past on many wood ceilings. With the new product lines out there with Low VOC content or low fumes there really aren't to many clear coatings that include both.There seems to be some sort of sacrifice one way or another depending on what it is I am wanting.
I ran into this article when I was searching for a new product with low VOC . More brain food.....
http://woodfinishings.wordpress.com/...ting-for-wood/
Also click the Acrylic Lacquer in the categories column for some pictures.

I have yet to use the product line that is mentioned. Just thought you might like the read for your project. Good Luck to you what ever you decide to go with.............................

Last edited by mark942; 08-10-2010 at 05:28 AM.
mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #3

thanks Mark - I'll check out the link - appreciate the feedback
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark942 View Post
Acrylic Lacquer would be my suggestion to you. I have used Lacquer in years past on many wood ceilings.
Mark - I read the article and a few related items on that site - thanks again. Do you apply by spray on your jobs or can this product (or other acrylic lacquers) be brushed on e.g. before the boards go up? I don't have the spray equipment and this job will be done a bit at a time over time (so renting is probably not an option - I'd have the gear out there forever). I gather spraying is much faster and probably better result if you know what you're doing - but I don't have much experience with spraying paints, etc. so I kinda would rather take my time and brush the boards on the floor before they go up.

Also - should the wood be finished on both sides (front and back) - I thought I read somewhere that this was recommended but I can't recall where or why...?

thanks again
Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoni View Post
Mark - Do you apply by spray on your jobs or can this product (or other acrylic lacquers) be brushed on e.g. before the boards go up?

I have applied Lacquer with both Sprayer and Brush and Roller. With a Brush and roller you need to be vary fast. Thinning maybe necessary as well.Temp/Humidity/etc are variants as to how much to thin.Some times thinning is not needed. It all depends. Roller nap used should be as small as you can get. 3/16 is what I get. Take a piece of duct tape and roll the sticky side around the nap to get most of the fuzz from it. You do not want fuzz in your Lacquer. A China bristle brush, I use a 3.5 inch, but that's my preference. ( The Brush is going to get destroyed from the Lacquer & Thinner ) Small price to pay for a good job though. 220 grit sanding between coats and you should be good to go.

Also - should the wood be finished on both sides (front and back) - I thought I read somewhere that this was recommended but I can't recall where or why...?

Some ceiling boards are also the flooring for the room above. Also completely sealing your boards will make them not want to expand or contract as much as say just one side sealed. Choice is yours. Unless like I said your ceiling is the room above floor. Then that side would need another more durable sealer.

....... Do you have DANE-BRAMAGE YET?

thanks again
No problem, and good luck what ever you decide to go with or do.

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark942 For This Useful Post:
rtoni (08-11-2010)