Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #1

Share |

Cedar with Solid Color Stain or Paint

I am weighing my options here....found a place where I can get Cedar Channel Rustic siding with a factory finish.
They will apply coat of oil-based primer plus my choice of either paint or stain on top. They prime/paint all 6 sides of the boards (1x10x10).
They are also recommending a final coat on site after installation (to seal nail heads, cut edges, etc...)

They will paint or stain with Olympic products...or, for an upcharge, I'm getting a quote on SW Duration for paint.

I had an earlier post referencing T-111 with this same question.....
New T-111 on New Horse Barn

With the Cedar (Western Red I believe) is it the same advice or different?

I am definitely going solid color...just figuring that the cedar will last much longer than T-111 with all things being equal....and I like the idea of the factory finish (time-saver).

Thanks again everyone!

hagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagler View Post
I am weighing my options here....found a place where I can get Cedar Channel Rustic siding with a factory finish.
They will apply coat of oil-based primer plus my choice of either paint or stain on top. They prime/paint all 6 sides of the boards (1x10x10).
They are also recommending a final coat on site after installation (to seal nail heads, cut edges, etc...)

They will paint or stain with Olympic products...or, for an upcharge, I'm getting a quote on SW Duration for paint.

I had an earlier post referencing T-111 with this same question.....
New T-111 on New Horse Barn

With the Cedar (Western Red I believe) is it the same advice or different?

I am definitely going solid color...just figuring that the cedar will last much longer than T-111 with all things being equal....and I like the idea of the factory finish (time-saver).

Thanks again everyone!
You're right in your thinking, Cedar will absolutely last much longer than T-111 siding - both from the perspective of holding paint (stain, whatever), and the cedar board itself will outlast southern yellow pine plywood. Cedar is naturally a much better weathering wood than is yellow pine, but with 1x10 planks, there is also no chance of delamitation between the plys (often typical with T-111). Typically with cedar you won't have the wild expansion and contraction that you will have with the #2 grade lumber used in T-111 (also a factor that will wreak havoc on a paint film).

I like the idea of using oil as a prime coat due to the probability of tannin bleed with cedar - and over oil primer, I'd recommend paint (acrylic) instead of sc stain (oil or acrylic). I'd also recommend that all saw cuts and surface breaks be re-primed with oil at the time of installation - followed by a full application of finish after installation is complete.

Whatever you end up choosing as a final finish (Duration, Olympic, etc.), you'll get plenty of feedback here as to which brand's are individuals favorites, but obviously stay with a high/top quality finish for best, longest lasting results. In a 2 coat system over pre-primed (and equally important, back-primed) board, you should enjoy several years between paint jobs.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 03-30-2012 at 02:53 PM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #3

Thanks so much Ric.....I agree with everything you said - very helpful!
hagler is offline   Reply With Quote