Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
2 steps below newbie...

Rewards Points: 10

Cedar siding scraping questions..

Im going to be tackling re-staining my cedar board/batten house this summer and want to start scraping it..
I picked up a couple husky scrapers from HD and upon doing a couple test spots seems like I'm simply just scraping the wood away..
Is this simply a result of the wood being so weathered and soft (house built in '78) or do I have the wrong/to aggressive of a scrapper?
To be fair this is the most weathered side as it faces the south. The North side is much darker and smoother to start with it, but still seems like I could scrape down to almost new wood with little effort.

In the first photo, Im trying to show the ridges in the wood and the lighter spots is about 2 passes over with the scrapper. The right photo the lighter circle is where I simply rubbed with my thumb to show how soft/poor it seems. Perhaps I shoudln't be scrapping but brushing with something? Last photo is simply a distance shot of the first two..

I bought the house in spring '10. I'm unsure of when it was last stained or what products were used as the number of the business the previous owner left is now out of business.
Hopefully this all makes sense...

This is what I'm scrapping with...
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
Attached Images

Last edited by Dieselbear; 06-17-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Dieselbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

That tool is for scraping loose paint off of smooth walls or vinyl tile adhesive off of floors or such things. Cedar is a soft wood with a rough texture surface and stain penetrates the wood. By scraping all you are doing is removing the surface of the wood and damaging it. You will not remove the stain even by sanding as it has penetrated beyond the surface (unless you remove a few mm from the whole house which obviously isn't practical) . Cedar especially is a very porous wood. Basically, as long as the wood is not rotten and the surface is not flaking or brittle you can apply a new coat of stain over the existing ... But obviously you have to go for the same or darker shade.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,146

Bonzai is right, there's nothing to scrape. You have rough sawn cedar that has NOT been painted. You will have to decide if you want a clear coat to maintain the cedar look or if you want to stain it to a different color. The only prep you really need is a thorough cleaning.........very gentle pressure washing or a good scrub down with some warm water and a soft-bristled scrub brush.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote