Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cedar Siding - Paint vs. Solid Stain

I have a 20 year old home with brick lower level and cedar siding and trim on the upper level. It has probably been "painted" 4 times over the years and I have always used a solid stain. I am tempted to use paint this time around since I think paint would last longer and I am not sure what the benefit of a solid stain is at this point, especially since it will be the fifth or six coat. Some paints are touting longer life, no primer needed, and longer coverage than I have been getting from the solid stain. But I am concerned about looks also since it is rough sawn cedar and is in good shape. Can someone help me with my decision?

vball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,150

I'm really surprised to hear of your struggle with solid color stain. In my experience you usually get 2,3, even 4 years more service out of stain as compared to paint. In addition, I think rough sawn cedar looks much better with stain on it. I have done several homes with Sherwin-Williams Woodscapes that are going on their 8th year of service and all they really need now is to be cleaned up to look great again. Try getting that kind of service out of paint.......pretty rare.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I have had good results from using paint over existing solid stain. Particularly on rough cedar.
Several houses that were done with solid stain when new, then painted with flat paint 4-5 years later have held up really well for me.

I assume your talking about the stain fading over time. That's kind of what stain is designed to do, fade rather than peel like paint can.

IMO, a good wash and a coat of high quality flat paint should resist fading better than another coat of stain. If the existing surface is sound and clean, peeling shouldn't be a problem. As far as looks, flat paint looks almost identical to solid stain.

A latex enamel will generally hold up better than flat, but that's a whole different look on rough lumber.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar siding, paint, solid stain