Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #1

Share |

Cedar Siding Help?

Hello, I have a building with 8" lap cedar siding/trim that is in need of TLC.

I have been searching the forums here and have found several related posts, but would like to get direct input on my own situation.

The west side (100' x 14') is going to be replaced, as it is in very poor condition, (practically falling from the building) with a cement board product and painted. The north side (88' x 16') is in very good condition structurally and I would like to keep it but also paint it to match the west side.

The cedar was previously solid-stained, but that was quite some time ago and is now quite worn.

So my questions are thus -

1. What kind of prep would the cedar surface require before applying new coating?

2. Is it advisable to try and caulk all the seams before coating? Or does the cedar's expansion make that point moot?

3. What kind of primer should I use over the solid stain? If you could recommend a brand I would appreciate it, and I'm not afraid of the cost of quality. I would really like the results to last a loooong time.

4. What kind of paint? Again, a brand recommendation would be great.

5. And finally how best to apply? I'm not affraid of the brush, but I'd sure rather spray it to save time. If spraying is viable, how does that impact the longevity?

I really appreciate the help- thanks in advance!
Pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Cedar Siding Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball
1. What kind of prep would the cedar surface require before applying new coating?
A nice cleaning and sanding
The TSP/Bleach/Water mix is recommended by many manufacturers and professional painters
There are many other commercially available cleaners (house/paint wash) that work well
As it's "worn" but not pealing, I'd consider a nice quick light sanding with a random orbital just to give the new coats some "tooth", and make sure the existing coat is really adhering
Quote:
2. Is it advisable to try and caulk all the seams before coating? Or does the cedar's expansion make that point moot?
Some seams may need it...you'll have to kind of make a call on each one
Quote:
3. What kind of primer should I use over the solid stain? If you could recommend a brand I would appreciate it, and I'm not afraid of the cost of quality. I would really like the results to last a loooong time.
The primer would depend on what's left after prep, and what's going over it
With the cedar there's a chance you'll need an oil
In general I prefer Ben Moore's Quick Dry Alkyd for cedar
...but again, that would depend
Quote:
4. What kind of paint? Again, a brand recommendation would be great.
Sure you want to paint?
Sounds like it's a good candidate for some more solid stain
My top choices would be
Sikkens Rubol Siding (alkyd hybrid)
Cabot Pro VT (acrylic)

Paint top choices:
Ben Moore's Aura
Sherwin Williams Duration

Quote:
5. And finally how best to apply? I'm not affraid of the brush, but I'd sure rather spray it to save time. If spraying is viable, how does that impact the longevity?
Brush
Spraying will only save you time if you are experienced and have a system down
The prep for spray is pretty intense and time-consuming, and the chance for disaster is high if you don't do it right
In general, for occasional painters, spraying should be avoided

The spray Kings and Queens might argue the point, but (arguably) in my experience, the sprayed coating do not last as long...unless back-brushed while wet
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #3

Cedar Siding Help?

Slick yur a stud!
Wisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #4

Cedar Siding Help?

Wow, outstanding. Thanks for the info- this is a great site!

Anyway- with sanding and washing I sumize that I would be very near or back into the cedar. So I will assume I should prime accordingly.

As for the caulking- I had really thought that it would likely be just verticle seams and damaged areas.

I had considered stain again, but a) I don't know how or if that works with the cement board that is going on the west side, and b) I'm not sure the color we are considering would be possible in a stain- I dunno, can they mix to suit?

Alas- the brush... Isn't this the 21st century? I've sprayed and I've brushed but never both at the same time. Is the whole spraying/ back brushing easier done as a team or solo 10' off the ground on scaffold?

Thanks again -Rob
Old 07-22-2008, 05:12 AM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Cedar Siding Help?

This may be the 21st century, but spraying isn't any better or faster for most people
An experienced team would be able to save some time, not newbies or solos
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Cedar Siding Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
....Spraying will only save you time if you are experienced and have a system down
The prep for spray is pretty intense and time-consuming, and the chance for disaster is high if you don't do it right
In general, for occasional painters, spraying should be avoided

The spray Kings and Queens might argue the point, but (arguably) in my experience, the sprayed coating do not last as long...unless back-brushed while wet
Slick is correct about this. I have even seen experienced painters spray an exterior of older homes on our own jobs. The huge amount of prep-work, actual spray-technique, and back-brushing is not for the faint of heart....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #7

Cedar Siding Help?

Alright, I can read the writing on the wall- but what of the concrete board planned for the other side? Can it be stained with the same product? If so- what kind of prep is required? Or are we speaking of two different treatments? I was hoping they would match as the building is situated right ON the corner.