Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #1

Share |

Cedar siding & caulk question

Hi,
In an earlier thread, I noted a post that said never to caulk under lap siding. Why is that?

My house is a '67 raise ranch with cedar siding. I'm scraping now and noticed one board looks to have a warp with a 1/4" gap at the widest. I don't know if the warm has always been there (not noticeable unless one stands at the bottom looking straight up) or if it's due to an previous roof leak (new roof last summer fixed that problem). I can slide my putty knife far into the gap.

Any other places where I shouldn't caulk? What about under the bottom most siding board where it meets the foundation?

Thanks for all advice.

ChrisJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #2

you don't caulk the bottom of the lap siding cause you want any moisture that may gather in between the siding a chance to escape,you can caulk the sill framing or sheathing to the foundation but don't caulk the siding
for the same reason

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #3

As a general rule you should not caulk the underside of lap siding, but I would definitely seal large gaps - providing they are just occasional.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #4

Well this got me wondering . . .

Our house was painted in 2001 by the previous owner and the paint job has held up until the past year except for two spots directly below two roof leaks (since fixed). Looking at the old paint job, I see for the vast majority of the walls, there is no open gap between boards. That is, the boards fit so snug together that the paint filled/bridges the gap. I'm surprised that if this is such a bad thing I would think more of the house's paint would have failed by now.

So does this mean I need to clean out all the old paint from between the boards (reopen the gaps)?

And when I paint, do I need to make an effort to keep the paint from filling in the gaps?

How does one keep insects from entering in between the siding boards if they have open gaps?
ChrisJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #5

under any type of siding is what is called a drainage plane,this is where any water that gets passed the siding ends up,now some of this moisture can be absorbed by the building paper or the wood components of your wall,some days out thru the laps of the siding which should be encouraged not restricted imo
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote