DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

cedar siding

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Expert Paint 
#1 ·
Our house was built in 1967 and has the original cedar siding that has been painted over numerous times. We purchased this home 4 years ago. We have scraped of all old paint and primed with latex primer only to find that is bubbled lots. So off with that primer and we used an oil based primer with a strong ahesive in it. . It was ok till we painted over it and the bubbling returned. Help! What can we use to paint or stain this siding? We are thinking that originally the cedar siding has some sort of coating on it, perhaps lindseed oil! We are going to scrap house down again. Any ideas??:( We live in Saskatchewan Canada.

#2 · (Edited)
Not sure what is on there. You might try a solid acrylic stain. Sherwin Williams Woodscapes Acrylic would be my choice. Given your problems try a little bit on an inconspicuous area. You can get it in any color and it is designed to go over new or painted surfaces without a primer. You will need a couple coats though.

Lindseed oil would not cause the problems you are having. An horrid-product-of-the-devil sealer like Thompson's Water Seal, that is wax based, could be causing anything you put on it to bubble. Usually the stuff does not last a season, let alone 4 years or more though. And the paint you scraped off originally was adhering?

You may have to apply some sort of sealing primer but I hope you can source what is on there first. Not sure what to advise if it is wax. You've tried a bonding water-based primer and I assume the oil-based primer was an alkyd? Quite baffling. Benjamin Moore's Fresh Start Alkyd Primer is what I would use but not if nothing is sticking and something is outgassing through all layers.

#3 ·
Our house was built in 1967 and has the original cedar siding that has been painted over numerous times. We purchased this home 4 years ago. We have scraped of all old paint and primed with latex primer only to find that is bubbled lots. So off with that primer and we used an oil based primer with a strong ahesive in it. . It was ok till we painted over it and the bubbling returned. Help! What can we use to paint or stain this siding? We are thinking that originally the cedar siding has some sort of coating on it, perhaps lindseed oil! We are going to scrap house down again. Any ideas??:( We live in Saskatchewan Canada.

huh? like what?

#8 · (Edited)
I am in the process of removing old vinyl siding and painting and repairing the old cedar siding. I have completed one side. I have the same problems you are having. I cleaned the siding with bleach and water, used a latex primer, scraped the peeling area and painted. I had many bubbles and when I scraped them and the paint came off down to bare wood. I changed to SW prep rite and it seemed like it was better but some more bubbles appeared just outside the areas I repaired. I tried using a paint remover and removed more old paint left and right of the bubbled area and that helped. Some boards were replaced if the had to many bubbles.
The wall I started with was the weather side, and one of the previous owners tried to paint it and in some areas he had many coats of paint. He gave up and had vinyl siding installed (maybe 30 years ago). I think that was the big factor in the bubbles. Another factor was I painted in the hot sun. Think the primer I used in the beginning was another factor. Someone told me the new paint creates gases and will lift the paint. I started letting the primer dry for 48 hours before painting and that also seemed to help.
So on the second side I am going to use an oil base primer after scraping, let it dry for 48 hours and see how it goes. I have some siding that I will replace, before I prime.

Hope some of this will help with your project. I will update you as I get painting on the next wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.