Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #1

Share |

Cedar shake house

I am looking at buying a house, it is a cedar shake sided one, it has been painted and the paint is peeling horribly. When I touched it the paint literally came off in huge strips. I do not like the colour at all and would like some advise, should I strip it as much as possible, choose another colour darker and repaint. should I use a solid hide stain tinted the colour we want likely dark again to cover the hideous green....and if we use paint is it better for oil or latex? Do you think it is possible if we strip it that we can get it back to the original and then should we stain it or simply give it a varathane coat or something...(the house appears to only have one to two coats of paint on it as when I pulled the paint strip off it went to the bare wood)

One last thought can we use a power washer to strip the paint?

Thank you for your help

Jeanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #2

Cedar shake house

Where are you located ?
Pics ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Cedar shake house

Pressure wash it with a cleaner, such as tsp in liquid form, you can mix the tsp in water as recomended and spray it on with a pump sprayer, then scrape and sand all loose paint off as needed, caulk any areas as needed, such as around window and door trim, apply two coats of Cabot ProVT solid stain, applying the Cabot ProVT will save you on labor and materials, because you will not be applying primer first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Jeanni (04-24-2010)
Old 04-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #4

Cedar shake house

Southwest Ontario Canada is where the house is . I need to reduce the size of the pic to send thanks
Old 04-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #5

Cedar shake house

My home in New Jersey had the same problem years ago. I must confess I resorted to replacing a lot of the shakes, especially those that faced south. Too many layers of paint baking in the sun for too long. I would experiment with some of the restoration ideas here before you start tearing down shakes; it's a time-consuming job (but new, painted shakes look great).

I do not believe a power washer will remove ALL of the paint, or that is it is possible to stain over paint. But I have been known to be wrong.

BTW, painting them every 6 years seems to be an appropriate interval.

Oh wait I just read about Cabot ProVT - interesting stuff.
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...in-111798.aspx

Last edited by smichelsen; 04-26-2010 at 04:49 PM.
smichelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Cedar shake house

Quote:
Originally Posted by smichelsen View Post
My home in New Jersey had the same problem years ago. I must confess I resorted to replacing a lot of the shakes, especially those that faced south. Too many layers of paint baking in the sun for too long. I would experiment with some of the restoration ideas here before you start tearing down shakes; it's a time-consuming job (but new, painted shakes look great).

I do not believe a power washer will remove ALL of the paint, or that is it is possible to stain over paint. But I have been known to be wrong.

BTW, painting them every 6 years seems to be an appropriate interval.

Oh wait I just read about Cabot ProVT - interesting stuff.
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...in-111798.aspx
Powerwashing the siding is not to remove the paint, it is to remove any dirt and contaminants , Cabot ProVt solid stain will cover a painted surface with great success, almost any solid stain will, to remove the loose paint you will have to scrape and sand as needed. www.kelloggspainting.com
We have used cabot provt on hundreds of homes with no problems.
-Thomas Kellogg
Kellogg's Painting Company
www.kelloggspainting.com

Old 04-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #7

Cedar shake house

Is there a benefit to Cabot ProVT over "just another coat of paint"? I am about to re-do my home, also painted cedar shakes. The paint is about 6 years old and in good shape. Thanks!
smichelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Cedar shake house

Quote:
Originally Posted by smichelsen View Post
Is there a benefit to Cabot ProVT over "just another coat of paint"? I am about to re-do my home, also painted cedar shakes. The paint is about 6 years old and in good shape. Thanks!
I like the ProVt because its a stain, you don't have to prime, it is a waterbase acrylic product and is good for a substrate that is completely bare, such as a fence or shake siding, also good for a situation where the shakes or fence has been previously painted and is peeling, especially sense it eliminates primining, if your siding is in good shape and your just doing one coat, as a maintenance coating with the same color and paint that you have been using, then you could Probably
just stick with what you have been using

Old 05-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #9

Cedar shake house

thank you and sorry for taking so long to respond to your suggestions...
Old 05-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #10

Cedar shake house

I have added two pictures of the house,
Attached Thumbnails
Cedar shake house-dsc07107reduced.jpg   Cedar shake house-dsc07118reduced.jpg  
Old 05-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #11

Cedar shake house

Jeanni,
From the first image it looks like the paint is peeling where the shakes are in direct contact with the roof. The shakes are wicking up water runoff which is causing the paint to peel. The outer layer of paint can get wet but the inner layer that's contacting the substrate is unforgiving to moisture build up.

I can't tell why your paint is feeling in the second image. I also feel it may be a moisture issue from the siding. I bet there's an overhang that's improperly flashed forcing moisture behind the siding. Can you post more images of what's above that front entry??

I think you need to address the roof before tackling any painting. The gutters looks to be in bad shape and poorly designed. There is also inadequate flashing where siding meets the roof line.

Painting the house without addressing these issues would be absolutely foolish IMHO.

I'd get a roofer to give you an estimate to re-roof and/or correct the water runoff deficiencies. Use the quote to negotiate a better deal on the house. I'd also get a home inspector to do a top to bottom evaluation of the entire structure. If the structure is constantly wet then there could also be termite damage.

This looks like a neat old house but you need know it's structural condition. I bet it's in need of a whole lot more then paint.

P.S. Pressure washing will just aggrevate the condition buy forcing water into the inner walls.

Last edited by hennyh; 05-24-2010 at 02:25 PM.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #12

Cedar shake house

I have added more pictures for you to have a look at...thank you for your time
Attached Thumbnails
Cedar shake house-1.jpg   Cedar shake house-2.jpg   Cedar shake house-3.jpg   Cedar shake house-4.jpg   Cedar shake house-5.jpg  

Cedar shake house-6.jpg  
Old 05-25-2010, 06:59 PM   #13

Cedar shake house

The very last picture of the under hang is not rotten but rather where the so called professionals tore it apart to get to the chimney...they hacked it repaired the chimney as it was leaking (due to heavy wind and rain storm), there was damage to interior of house wall but minimal... floors are fine...but I added it to illustrate the under hang conditions beside it
Attached Thumbnails
Cedar shake house-6.jpg   Cedar shake house-8.jpg   Cedar shake house-9.jpg   Cedar shake house-10.jpg   Cedar shake house-7.jpg  

Old 05-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #14

Cedar shake house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanni View Post
I have added more pictures for you to have a look at...thank you for your time
the picture of the small area last one of page 12 is an addon and it is a flat roof,
Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #15

Cedar shake house

Neat old home!!

My original advice remains unchanged. You need a professional to evaluate the structural integrity of the home. If most of the problems are roof, gutters and flashing then get them corrected.

After that you can focus on the painting.

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote