Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #1

Share |

cedar picket fence

I recently installed 3.5 inch cedar pickets and would like to keep original color but need advice on whether I should just clear coat but that the uv wears off quickly, I've heard spar varnish or clear coat with toner. Please help. Also which brand you all recommend would be great. Fence is only 30 ft., full sun here in TX. Thanks to all

mcl6302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #2

cedar picket fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl6302 View Post
I recently installed 3.5 inch cedar pickets and would like to keep original color but need advice on whether I should just clear coat but that the uv wears off quickly, I've heard spar varnish or clear coat with toner. Please help. Also which brand you all recommend would be great. Fence is only 30 ft., full sun here in TX. Thanks to all
Don't use spar or any other type of varnish, with or without UV inhibitors. They won't last for more than a season under full sun, they'll age your wood faster than if it wasn't coated at all, and your boards will require extensive prep to recoat within a year...Don't use clear, water-repellants either.

Although there are many products you could use, my favorite is Cabot's toned deck and siding stain in Cedar Natural Tone. Slightly pigmented for UV protection and has the appearance of wet cedar. Keep in mind, for the type of exposure you've described, 2 years may be about the extent of what you can expect between apps. Good luck.

ric knows paint is online now   Reply With Quote