Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #1

Share |

Cedar Fence Sealing

My cedar fence is four years old and needs to be sealed with a stain again. How do I keep stain off of the metal posts and brackets if I am spraying the fence?

kengleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #2

Cedar Fence Sealing

Your choices are to mask them, hit them and wipe them, or get close with spray and cut the last bit. If you cut the last bit, have someone follow you right away to avoid lap marks. An oil stain will wipe off smooth metal fairly easily with just a rag and maybe a little thinner. Just determine which method is the least consuming and go.
Joe
DiyPaintingGuide.org

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #3

Cedar Fence Sealing

Someone recently said to spray WD40 on window glass to protect from over-spray....... Use a cardboard shield to spray just the post metal and brackets, wipe it clean afterward...

Gary
Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Super Master Painter

Cedar Fence Sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Someone recently said to spray WD40 on window glass to protect from over-spray.......

Gary

Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

Cedar Fence Sealing

I say, if you're going to get one chemical on the metal that needs wiping, why not just hit it with the stain and wipe that? If the metal is in fairly good shape, stain, especially oil, should wipe relatively easy. It takes a long time for oil to dry on a non-absorbent surface and it doesn't bond well to boot. Leaving an oily residue from WD will eventually attract dirt.

Labor is your biggest cost. Choose the least time consuming method to keep the metal clean and shoot it.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 02-14-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: keeping on subject
Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #6

Cedar Fence Sealing

" How do I keep stain off of the metal posts and brackets" ---- the bold is mine, coating the metal was not mentioned, if it works for him, it would save time - also without even cleaning it afterward. This is the nature of a forum, everyone can contribute their two cents. We should all be here to help the OP with suggestive, helpful remarks, while following the forum rules.

Ken, are these steel posts with brackets that hold the horizontal 2x's on?

Gary

Gary
Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #7

Cedar Fence Sealing

Thank you to all of you for the great suggestions. Yes, they are galvanized steel post and accessories.

When the fence was originally stained, they used what looked like pesticide sprayers to do the job. The contractor that did it said something about putting liquid soap on the metal, but I didn't understand what he was talking about.

If the oil will stay wet on the metal, I like the idea of a rag and paint thinner since I have 34 posts to do.

I appreciate all of the input from each of you, and I'm glad that I found this forum.

Ken Gleason
kengleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #8

Cedar Fence Sealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I say, if you're going to get one chemical on the metal that needs wiping, why not just hit it with the stain and wipe that? If the metal is in fairly good shape, stain, especially oil, should wipe relatively easy. It takes a long time for oil to dry on a non-absorbent surface and it doesn't bond well to boot. Leaving an oily residue from WD will eventually attract dirt.

Labor is your biggest cost. Choose the least time consuming method to keep the metal clean and shoot it.
Ditto!