Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cedar Deck boards

I will be building a deck next month and I am using 2X6 deck boards, planed on 1 side only. I will attach them to the joice and after a while of weathering them, I will be putting a weather protectant sealer on the planed surface. What about the remainder of the boards? Should they also be protected? They will not be exposed to the sun, just rain. The boards will be spaced 1/8 of an inch apart, how would I go about putting the stuff on the sides of the board, or under? Any suggestions? Ideally I would put the protectant on all sides prior to building the deck, but that is not possible.

Thanks.

Outbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cedar Deck boards

Normally just the surface is stained/sealed
If there is enough space to get a brush in between the decking, then the sides might be "hit" with stain/sealer
Usually the underside is not
Occasionally a customer will want the underside done, but not often

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 25

Cedar Deck boards

Your idea of applying a sealer to all sides of the material prior to installation is not a bad idea. How far is your deck going to be off the ground? Will you be able to maintain a finish on the underside or not? If not, sealing before installation on all sides, and then sealing cuts and end grain will certainly improve the woods ability to stand up to the environment. The underside of the wood at any given times is around 2% more moist than the tops.

Even if you won't be able to maintain a finish on the underside, sealing it all won't hurt. However, make SURE to use a penetrating oil finish after properly cleaning the wood, and allowing it to dry thoroughly. Typically on new wood we will clean it, use a brightener to bring the woods natural color out, and give the wood the proper ph for staining, allow dry time, then stain with a penetrating oil stain.

To stain all sides, lay out some saw horses or blocks to hold the boards off the ground, spray and backbrush the stain on, wait 1 hour, flip and repeat.

I could write a book, but I hope that helps.
AAPaint is offline   Reply With Quote