Cedar Boards - Wait Before Painting? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cedar Boards - Wait before Painting?

Painting 5/4 x 6 Tongue & Groove Cedar Boards....following this post, I AM Painting them after oil based prime coat.

Cedar with Solid Color Stain or Paint

The boards sit horizontally inside the dutch doors for the barn...they are behind the cross bucks of the door.

Question is: should I wait a certain period of time before priming and painting in order to let the tannins "bleed" out a little....(6 months or so)...kind of like Pressure Treated material - does that apply here or it doesn't matter as long as I seal it with an oil based primer?

Another Question: Is it OK to let the BARE wood sit as is over the winter and then prime and paint in the Spring? Will the wood be affected at all? The wood is outside in the barn doors, but it is not laying flat like decking material where the weather (snow, rain) is going to accumulate or constantly try to penetrate it....all the boards sit vertically (i.e. like spindles for a railing).

Thanks so much for the help!

Advertisement

hagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 636

Go back and add your location to your profile.
Location matters on a question like this.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #3

Done....NY
Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 636

In my opion it's to late this year to be doing any painting in your area.
Two things going to get ya. Moisture and cold.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #5

I understand....I should have specified more....I can do the painting inside a garage.....I can remove the boards, paint them, then reinstall in the doors.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle the cedar....let it "bleed" for a few months and then paint?

Also, if I leave the wood in the doors untreated, will the cedar be OK for painting in the Sping?

Thank you.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagler View Post
I understand....I should have specified more....I can do the painting inside a garage.....I can remove the boards, paint them, then reinstall in the doors.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle the cedar....let it "bleed" for a few months and then paint?

Also, if I leave the wood in the doors untreated, will the cedar be OK for painting in the Sping?

Thank you.

It's still too cold in the garage unless your's is heated,and you keep it above 50 degrees.

Also kind of confusing as you say the boards are factory primed,then ask about cedar being untreated??????

"They will apply coat of oil-based primer plus my choice of either paint or stain on top. They prime/paint all 6 sides of the boards (1x10x10).
They are also recommending a final coat on site after installation (to seal nail heads, cut edges, etc...)"
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #7

The prior post I cited is just to show that I decided to paint vs stain the cedar. It is not the same application - prior post was for siding.

The wood I am currently talking about in the doors is untreated.

Is this wood OK to leave in the doors over the winter untreated and being exposed to UV rays....is it OK for 5-6 months?
Old 11-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

In my opinion, the cedar boards will be fine weathering for a winter. Some of the tannins will leach out, but the majority will still be in the wood.. Wait until warmer weather and longer days before priming. If you have access to a wood moisture meter, look for a <15% reading.

Oil-based primers work well for tannin-blocking. Stain-Resistant Acrylics, such as Zinsser 1-2-3, are designed to pull the tannins into the surface and lock them into the film. Allow a week between priming and finishing if you go this route.

Advertisement

Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Paint For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (11-16-2012)