Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 518

Caulking Trim

Our walls are painted and the window,base trim and crown molding are up and not painted yet. I assume I should caulk them paint the trim??? How do I avoid getting caulking on the wall. I'm sure when I put it in then wipe it into the joint some residue will get on the wall. Just wipe it away with a wet towel? Thanks

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Caulking Trim

you caulk then paint the caulking cause the caulk yellows and attracts dust

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 518

Caulking Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake
you caulk then paint the caulking cause the caulk yellows and attracts dust
Ok thanks....that's hoping yo be hard to paint the caulk and not hit the wall....even taping it. I would imagine it would be hard to get the tape perfect which is pretty much necessary or the trim paint will get on the wall.
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #4

Caulking Trim

You are right about it being difficult to get a nice caulked transition from trim to walls without painting the walls again after caulking. One way to do it is to use caulk that is the same color as the walls.

http://www.sashco.com/products/exact-color/

With this stuff you mix a little of the wall paint with the caulk to make it the same color as the walls. Caulk the trim to the walls, paint the trim, and your done.

It can be done pretty well with regular caulk by caulking carefully and running the trim paint line out on the wall slightly. But it is hard to do, takes some skill with the caulking gun.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Mstrlucky74 (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Caulking Trim

Try using painters tape on the wall just a bit higher than the the top of the baseboard and then caulk with alex plus or a similar molding white caulking
acldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acldesign For This Useful Post:
Mstrlucky74 (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,284

Caulking Trim

Just a little tip on caulking (pun intended) When you cut the end of the caulk tube cut it as small as you can. The biggest mistake with caulking is cutting the end too big. This makes the bead too big and makes it messy to work with and it wastes a lot of product. Plus if the hole is too big you will get a lot more on the wall.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Mstrlucky74 (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,146

Caulking Trim

Do what Tool Seeker suggest.
No way in a million years would I ever use tape when caulking. Just going to make a bigger mess expensive mess and take far longer.
Small hole in the tip, light pressure on the trigger.
Have a small bucket or warm water and a sponge ready.( I like the hard sponge with the Scotch Brite on the back of it.
Go about 8', stop and wipe with your finger, clean off your finger in the bucket, wipe it again with a damp sponge.
I can do all the caulking in a whole bedroom in about 15 min by myself and have none on the walls or the trim, just the crack.
Whole trick is not using to much, why apply and go back and have to wipe it all off?
Mstrlucky74 (03-02-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,146

Caulking Trim

I would PRIME the trim first. That will better show the areas with gaps that need caulking. Then, follow Joe C's formula, allow the caulk to dry thoroughly, and then do you finish coats on the trim. You will now have nice, crisp lines to work with when you go to paint the walls.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #9

Caulking Trim

Tape can work, but it has to be done differently than taping for paint. The tape needs to be pulled almost immediately after caulking before the caulk has a chance to skin over. Also the caulk needs to be tapered down thin where it meets the tape or it will leave a ragged edge when you pull the tape.

The biggest potential problem that I see, whatever method is used,is over wiping. Tool and Joe's advice about running a small bead is good. The goal should be to run the bead as tight as possible and wipe it as little as you can to make it look good. Too much wiping, or too much water used while wiping, can weaken the bead of caulk.
I have seen it many times where, in an effort at neatness, a novice caulker will over wipe the bead. This usually ends in premature failure of the caulk. Ive seen whole new houses crack out everywhere within a couple months.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,146

Caulking Trim

Lots of reasons caulking will crack.
Not nailed tight enough, push on it, if it moves fix it before caulking.
Cheap caulking. It's not cheap anymore if you have to go back and redo it all over again.
High moisture content in the trim. Many times I've seen people store the trim before cutting laying flat on a cement floor in a basement or garage and seen it shrink up the day after it's installed and all crack from shrinkage.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #11
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 77

Caulking Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I would PRIME the trim first. That will better show the areas with gaps that need caulking. Then, follow Joe C's formula, allow the caulk to dry thoroughly, and then do you finish coats on the trim. You will now have nice, crisp lines to work with when you go to paint the walls.
I agree you need to prime first to highlight what needs caulking, but I would not worry about getting caulk on the walls, just re-cut in around the trim with the wall paint after painting the trim. It is quicker, and allows you to paint the trim edge quicker without worrying about getting as straight a line. It is also easier to cut a clean line with the wall paint against the trim than vice versa.

kkeith is offline   Reply With Quote