Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #1

Share |

caulking of nail holes showing yellow thru paint

Hey everyone first time poster here. From what I have seen looks like a ton of great info here.......I hope I will be able to share some info with others here. We had some painting done for us and I don't know what they used to cover the nail holes in the trim but all those spots are showing yellow thru the white paint. I thought I could just go back and put a second coat of paint over those spots and it would take care of it ....but no luck. Should I try some Kilz and then another coat of paint. Thanks in advance for all suggestions and info!

Denny

DennyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Experienced

Hello Denny and welcome to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

Sounds to me that the nails were never set and filled, you will need to use a nail set, drive the nail further in cover with thumbable filler then repaint.

Mark

Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #3

Hey Denny, welcome to the forum. Caulk is not a prescribed filler for putty holes, and if it was due to caulk, all the caulked seams would be yellowed as well, and not just limited to the putty holes. What you're describing usually occurs when an oil based putty is used under flat finishes. I've used oil putty under latex trim enamels (sheens) with no problem before, and have never seen the issue you describe, except as I said, with flats. Closets are usually painted in flats, and when the nail holes get puttied with oil the oil discolors the flat, or sometimes rental properties are painted with all flat and it occurs there as well. Tell us what type of finish, brand, and specific product they used to paint the trim.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-13-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply Jackofall1. The nail holes had been covered......I can smoothly run my finger over the spots.....I'm just not sure if they used caulk or some kind of putty.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #5

Thanks for the info jsheidan. The paint is Porter cloud white semi-gloss.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #6

I would call the painter and ask her what she (lol, political correctness) used to putty the holes, then call Porter with that info and ask them why their product is failing.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Doer of Many Things

Some people make the mistake of using products like Color Putty for this. Color Putty is a oil based filler that never completely dries and yes it'll bleed through latex.
Gymschu (02-13-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #8

I'm not certain what you painter used to fill the nail holes with and no sense guessing because it could be half a dozen things.
Though caulk may not be a good thing to fill nail holes with, all painters use it to caulk along door, window & trim so it would be ok to have used it and is paintable but again, not really recommended.
To remedy the situation, I would prime with a stain killer, Zinnser or Kilz, then repaint. Make certain the primer you pick will seal the stain.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraniksPainting View Post
I'm not certain what you painter used to fill the nail holes with and no sense guessing because it could be half a dozen things.
Though caulk may not be a good thing to fill nail holes with, all painters use it to caulk along door, window & trim so it would be ok to have used it and is paintable but again, not really recommended.
To remedy the situation, I would prime with a stain killer, Zinnser or Kilz, then repaint. Make certain the primer you pick will seal the stain.
Bran, he said someone did it for him, why should he do the fix? Depending upon when it was done, this should be the painter's responsibility, as it's a failure of workmanship.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
chrisn (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:

I would also be wary of this advise , unless you are using the original oil
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I would also be wary of this advise , unless you are using the original oil
I'm not exactly sure what misadvice you think I've given and have never mentioned about any oil. Maybe you need to take a step back.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what misadvice you think I've given and have never mentioned about any oil. Maybe you need to take a step back.

IMO using ANY Kilz product except original oil is bad advise. You use it ,fine, just don't promote it to home owners on a DIY site
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
IMO using ANY Kilz product except original oil is bad advise. You use it ,fine, just don't promote it to home owners on a DIY site
If you look back to my posts, I never recommended oil or latex primer. I merely said the primer he chooses should seal the stain. Maybe I should have been more specific but as I see it both Zinnser and Kilz have oil base products so exactly what product do you see that I shouldn't promote?

Last edited by BraniksPainting; 02-13-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Bran, he said someone did it for him, why should he do the fix? Depending upon when it was done, this should be the painter's responsibility, as it's a failure of workmanship.
J...I understand someone did the work for him but the homeowner never said he was going to have the original painter fix the problem. He specifically said "should I try some kilz and then another coat of paint". Not argueing.....just making my point.

I totally agree with you that it should be the painters responsibility to make it right but obviously that isn't happening if the homeowner is posting the question here and not to his painter.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #15

It's a rough crowd here Bran, lol. Like Rodney Dangerfield says, "Talk about rough, when I played football in high school, after we sacked the other team's quarterback, we went after his family". LMAO
Hang in there and save your powder for the idiots who invariably pass through here.