Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Caulking between Clapboard?

Getting ready to paint exterior clapboard on house and need to learn about caulking gaps between clapboard peices. I've heard several different thoughts from seal the verticle gaps between pieces to leave open for breathability. Gaps are 1/8 - 1/4 inch wide. My concern is if not sealed will weather enter and cause damage long term? Any professional advice? Thanks

JJSPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 14

I have done it both ways. The experts say NOT to fill the cracks so the house can breathe. I usually fill the cracks especially if they are unsightly. I think houses breathe just fine with the cracks filled. After all, clapboards usually overlap anyway, right? Anyway, I have houses that I did 10 years ago and the paint is still decent, the house isn't sweating on the inside, everything turned out fine. Just your preference I would say.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #3

I typically try not to caulk the horizontal because wood expands and contracts with the temp, so when you caulk the horizontal it is more prone to cracking and look like crap.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
I typically try not to caulk the horizontal because wood expands and contracts with the temp, so when you caulk the horizontal it is more prone to cracking and look like crap.
Workaholic, yes, it can end up looking like crap, but most of the houses I have done this on the caulk stays put for at least 7 years and by that time it's time for paint again. I guess you pick your poison.......look at the unsightly cracks or take your chances with the caulk.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSPS View Post
Getting ready to paint exterior clapboard on house and need to learn about caulking gaps between clapboard peices. I've heard several different thoughts from seal the verticle gaps between pieces to leave open for breathability. Gaps are 1/8 - 1/4 inch wide. My concern is if not sealed will weather enter and cause damage long term? Any professional advice? Thanks

I vote no cualk
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice, guess if the gaps bother me enough and i'm really ambitious the gaps will get caulked. Appreciate the comments from all.
JJSPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
jschaben

Quote:

Depends on what you're painting with to some extent. First house I ever owned I painted with Glidden Gel-Flo. At the time a fairly decent quality oil based enamel. I also proceeded to seal up and caulk anything that looked like it could possibly let moisture in. A year and a half later, I was repainting over the bathroom and the kitchen. What I had failed to consider was air movement behind the clapboard to allow for moisture to escape. Humidity from the kitchen and bath simply moved through the wood and pushed the paint off.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

We don't caulk under the clapboards. The substrate needs to breath and oisture needs to be able to escape. Only if there are vents or wedges in the clapboard would I caulk under them.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
Mod

Rewards Points: 56

Quote:
Yes, caulk the vertical gaps (butt joints) of your wood or FC siding.