Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #1

Share |

Caulk on walls, priming, trouble with lines, and more!

Agrajag and I used SW for the bathroom. Great color, but the ceiling paint was THIN and it sagged down onto the walls so we don't have clean lines (I am guessing this is why you do the ceiling first. We cut in with Purdy 2" angled brush and still couldn't get good lines with the $%*# orange peel). But overall the ceiling looks good. Two coats good!

The SW guys said we did not need to prime because I used TSP to wash then rinsed twice after. PROBLEM: turns out (!) there's silicon caulk on the walls near the tub, so you can all guess what happened when we tried to cut in QUESTION: Will priming allow us to just paint over this caulk? If we sand the textured wall won't it look uneven? Any suggestions for locating the caulk on the walls and removing it?

ALSO: getting even lines is a PAIN. There seem to be varying opinions from tape and caulk, to using a brush with good lighting and a steady hand, which is what Agrajag plans to do. We tried using an edger, but because of the orange peel... yada yada.

Walls are blue, ceiling is yellow, first attempt to paint the wall not so good! What is the best way to remove the (small area) botched job? Can I prime over, should I sand? Any suggestions for making this project and our lives easier?

mrsjande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

IMO you need to remove the silicon chalk,I have never found anything to stick to it. Some have though. The rest of it just takes a steady hand and a good brush, no need to prime as you have described.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #3

Chrisn has it right. Just cut your losses and dig the caulking out.

As for locating silicone caulking on the walls, do you mean that someone patched holes with caulking? If so, then you should be able to readily notice the paint not adhering to it.

Also, because you're cutting into texture, you really have to either create an artificial straight line just below the ceiling line, cut a bit onto the ceiling, or just accept that no matter how good you are with a brush, you won't have a perfectly straight line cutting into textured walls. Another thing to remember is that the brush itself is important: while Purdy may be a good brand name, it doesn't mean that all brushes made by Purdy are good or equal quality across the line. You also need to consider the surface type you are cutting on: with rough or textured walls you will want a slightly stiffer brush, and with a nice smooth surface a softer brush will do wonders.
DarthPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthPainter View Post
Chrisn has it right. Just cut your losses and dig the caulking out.

As for locating silicone caulking on the walls, do you mean that someone patched holes with caulking? If so, then you should be able to readily notice the paint not adhering to it.
Looks like the builders just got patches of it on the walls. I don't THINK it was used for repairs. Will sand the $!@(* out of those areas then, I guess....
Old 09-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #5

I have primed over silicone caulk with Cover Stain. Paint is still holding well after 4 years. Before I primed, I did clean the caulk thoroughly with mineral spirits.
slickracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickracer View Post
I have primed over silicone caulk with Cover Stain. Paint is still holding well after 4 years. Before I primed, I did clean the caulk thoroughly with mineral spirits.
I have also use Zinsser B-I-N Shellac base primer sealer. This will adhere to the silicone caulk. Use a resperator when using this product. It will get you high. Also open a window if possible.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=10
JMDPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDPainting View Post
I have also use Zinsser B-I-N Shellac base primer sealer. This will adhere to the silicone caulk. Use a resperator when using this product.
I think I'll sand rather than prep over it. The water closet is a small area and it's just within a few inches of the doorway and tub.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #8

I read to cut slightly into the ceiling and it worked! You can't tell my lines are bad. Well, at least I think the casual observer won't notice. Thanks DarthPainter!!

Thanks all! Big image http://img2.imageshack.us/i/roomie003.jpg/

Last edited by mrsjande; 09-10-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: thanks to Darth :)