Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Share |

Caulk At Ceiling/Wall Joints?

I recently hired a contractor to do some work that would have been too overwhelming for me (stripping wallpaper, resurfacing wall, and some painting). His crew seems to have a problem with cutting lines, and for the ceiling/wall joints they put a line of caulk. I assume they thought it would look like a clean, sharp line.

When I called him out on it, he said it was "common practice." I have never heard of such a thing. It looks second-rate and awful! I am going around with good ole painters tape and a tiny paintbrush, so when he comes back I'll be able to say, "Look, THIS is normal and it looks good."

Has anyone here heard of such a thing - using caulk around the ceiling/wall joints, especially in a living room?

MJG196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

I have never heard of anyone doing that, never seen it, nor would I expect that from anyone. I have been a painting contractor and owner of my own painting company for a long time doing everything from a one day job to a new project taking up to a year, I been around a lot of professional painting contractors, working directly or indirectly with them, been around architects and engineers and like I said I have never heard of that. It is very unprofessional.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
"Beam me up, Scottie"

I have done it twice in my career. Both times were in a real old house with wavy plaster walls and trenched trim intersects. Each time the trim was white and the walls were dark. The caulk was a fill extension of the trim. I did it with an icing bag. It turned out well but was a real hassle.

Looks like on your job they just slam dunked some caulk and fingered it. As far as the statement, "it is done all the time."

Kevin
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Any professional painter should be able to cut a pretty straight line on a ceiling, even using almost any size brush. If a wall is wavy, then the cut gets compromised to where it will still look pretty straight. I have met tons of professional painters and have worked on all phases of painting and have never seen that done in order to make a cut look straight. Over time the caulk will start to sag and fall down, if one of my painters ever did that I would probably fire them instantly. If you are caulking some sort of trim on the ceiling ie. Crown molding that's one thing.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #5

Thanks a lot for the confirmations. My wife was grilling me for getting impatient and taping/painting it myself after the contractor left the house!

The walls in my house aren't exactly perfectly constructed (cheap construction from 78/79), but a clean line is imperative for me, whether the walls are wavy or not!
Old 02-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG196 View Post
Thanks a lot for the confirmations.
Quote:
My wife was grilling me
for getting impatient and taping/painting it myself after the contractor left the house!

The walls in my house aren't exactly perfectly constructed (cheap construction from 78/79), but a clean line is imperative for me, whether the walls are wavy or not!
I believe someone owes you an apology!

Kevin
Old 02-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

"common practice."

As already stated this is a farce,I have never seen anything like that. That guy( supposid contractor) should never have been paid.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
"common practice."

As already stated this is a farce,I have never seen anything like that. That guy( supposid contractor) should never have been paid.
Well, I only paid half so far. They dont get anything else until the job is complete. I see you are in Hagerstown. Howdy neighbor!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #9

Here is another example for you guys to laugh at:

I have a question for you pros. I want to tell this guy that the caulk is unacceptable and I want his crew to use tape. Is he obligated to do it MY way or the way his crew knows how? Our contract does not say anything about this type of situation.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Hopefully, that is not 100% silicone caulk.
KM
Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
Hopefully, that is not 100% silicone caulk.
KM
I asked him about that, and he didn't know. Yes, he didn't know what materials his crew was using. As it is, the areas I have done myself seem to hold the paint and look really good.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG196 View Post
Well, I only paid half so far. They dont get anything else until the job is complete. I see you are in Hagerstown. Howdy neighbor!
Nothing for nothing, but if you owe him half of the contracted price I hope that you did not give him half down, that would be a warning sign that the contractors not professional if he's taking half down. Most contractors on small jobs only take a small percent down and the rest upon completion.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
DIY Home owner

Obligated? No. But if he's a good businessman he'll do whatever it takes to make his customers happy. If you're not happy with his work, he should have asked what he could do to make it right, not try to justify their methods. You have every right to ask him to correct their work.
wherm5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
Nothing for nothing, but if you owe him half of the contracted price I hope that you did not give him half down, that would be a warning sign that the contractors not professional if he's taking half down. Most contractors on small jobs only take a small percent down and the rest upon completion.
Well, lesson learned there. It was in the neighborhood of other estimates, so I don't feel burned on cost as long as the job is eventually completed to my own specs. That means NO CAULK!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #15

Although THIS particular painters' caulk-lines were REALLY crappy (My Samoyed puppy could've done better than that...!)

Many GOOD painters up here do it too. It really dresses-up the vertical corners, since "square" corners are rare...
I don't use much....just enough to give the corner a slight "rounding". This makes a cut-in easier IMO. I use good-ol' ACE Painter's-caulk.
I often suggest to our stores' clients to consider caulking their inside-corners, as well as the obvious caulking around wood trims, etc.
Some have come back and thanked us for the suggestion..."No one else has ever suggested that" one guy said!

It works!

Faron

Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote