Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #1

Share |

Which caulk before paint job?

I'm about to have my house exterior painted. I had a handyman do some siding water damage repair and he just used basic DAP Alex caulk. But when I'm undertaking a full exterior repaint, I'm not sure about using a $1.50/tube caulk for a several thousdand $ job. One of the painters who is working up an estimate indicated he uses Sherwin Williams 950A or similar for caulk. I don't necessarily need a $8/tube caulk, but I want the best all-around caulk for the job at hand. Water clean-up and tooling would seem to be a big plus.

coloradotrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I honestly do not know what it costs retail to buy caulk. Trust your paint, not box store for recommendations. I could not tell for sure what you were hoping to caulk.

And buy a good caulking gun, not some piece of $3 weekender warrior crap from HD that bends and feels like $ worth of weekender crap.

As you know, an asteroid is, or should take us all out within months now. The world as we know it ends soon. All comments on this site are rather irrelevant.

I can fire two caulking guns with each hand. I plan on injecting the most evil material ever now known to man and mislabled as caulking into the eye sockets of those zombies who sense my living flesh. Unless she is reasonably cute and will eat the tiny little yappy dogs in my hood before me.

I will fill the brains of zombies with pure GE pure silicone sold as caulking if they come after me.

"Try to live with a horrible near rubber brain. And tell your friends!"

Will be the spray painted banner near me.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
As you know, an asteroid is, or should take us all out within months now. The world as we know it ends soon. All comments on this site are rather irrelevant.

I can fire two caulking guns with each hand. I plan on injecting the most evil material ever now known to man and mislabled as caulking into the eye sockets of those zombies who sense my living flesh. Unless she is reasonably cute and will eat the tiny little yappy dogs in my hood before me.

I will fill the brains of zombies with pure GE pure silicone sold as caulking if they come after me.

Forget the meds again or what???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (09-08-2011), VIPlumber (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

rubber brains :P
Old 09-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Personally the only caulk we use is Sherwin Williams 950a. It is an acrylic and silicone blend that is paintable, so it has the sealing power of silicone and fleibilty of acrylic. It is also a lot less than $8 a tube. I would not use alex or dap caulk for anything, that's just my opinion. I do believe that a quality caulk is needed, especially for an exterior re-paint.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

The best one you can afford.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I honestly do not know what it costs retail to buy caulk. Trust your paint, not box store for recommendations. I could not tell for sure what you were hoping to caulk.

And buy a good caulking gun, not some piece of $3 weekender warrior crap from HD that bends and feels like $ worth of weekender crap.

Neat, makes me think of Steven King for some reason
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #8

mostly worthless chatroom..
coloradotrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradotrout View Post
This is not a worthless chatroom. There are, however, a few members here who occasionally go out of their way to be complete a-holes. You'll find out soon enough who they are, and you'll get the distinct impression that sometimes they sit home all day drinking, smoking pot and/or watching p0rn - then get on here and try to show off. If you can tolerate that nonsense, you'll find a lot of good information here.

That said, when you're talking about the exterior of your house, and spending several thousand dollars to get it professionally painted, do NOT go cheap on the caulk. Even if you had to spend $10 per tube, on good caulk, it's well worth it because 2-3 tubes will do the whole house.

I've not used Sherwin Williams 950a myself, but if housepantingny swears by it, that's an extremely strong argument for it.

Good luck!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
housepaintingny (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradotrout View Post
That's a low blow. What is it that you want? We had this conversation about caulk in another thread. HousePainting confirmed your painters selection as what he uses. Personally, I don't care for the consistency of it, but it's a good caulk. A good tube of caulk runs about four-five bucks, so what's the big deal if your guy uses an eight dollar tube. How many tubes are you going to use. Two maybe three, what are we looking at here, ten bucks. If you can't trust that your painter will choose a proper caulk, that's the least of your problems. A caulk is only as good as the surface it's applied to and applicator applying it. So if you trust his ability to apply it, trust his ability to choose a quality caulk. To dismiss the chatroom as worthless is insulting. Maybe you should find another chatroom.

Dr. Hicks posted while I was writing, so the logic on the caulk is shared, by two great minds at least.

Last edited by jsheridan; 09-08-2011 at 05:27 PM.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
housepaintingny (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Painting Company, NY

Yup, we gave th OP advice and he wants to thank us by calling our advice useless. I've already gave my insight on SW 950a which I've used for years, sometimes SW 850a, but they are both good caulks. There is a slight learning curve using them both as they have a differant consistincy than some caulks. I'm use to using them. As mentioned a good caulk gun and proper prep before caulking is key too. Like everyone else said it would only take a few tubes of caulk in general and only cost a few bucks a tube retail.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:33 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
That's a low blow. What is it that you want? We had this conversation about caulk in another thread. HousePainting confirmed your painters selection as what he uses. Personally, I don't care for the consistency of it, but it's a good caulk. A good tube of caulk runs about four-five bucks, so what's the big deal if your guy uses an eight dollar tube. How many tubes are you going to use. Two maybe three, what are we looking at here, ten bucks. If you can't trust that your painter will choose a proper caulk, that's the least of your problems. A caulk is only as good as the surface it's applied to and applicator applying it. So if you trust his ability to apply it, trust his ability to choose a quality caulk. To dismiss the chatroom as worthless is insulting. Maybe you should find another chatroom.

Dr. Hicks posted while I was writing, so the logic on the caulk is shared, by two great minds at least.
Don't know about the Dr's, mind but I agree with your's
Old 09-09-2011, 06:40 AM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Don't know about the Dr's, mind but I agree with your's
Speaking of great minds, in this usage there is no apostrophe is yours...
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Oh boy, caught by the punctuation police.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #15

Why does everyone always pick on Chris

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote