Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #1

Share |

Care and Feeding of Paint Brushes

The fast drying, loc VOC paints just tend to build up in the middle of paint brushes. I'm favoring having double of each size....so when I'm done cutting in, I rinse immediate. Otherwise, even a very soaked brush in a plastic bag....leads to dried buildup in my brushes (in my case I've been using Aura alot). Rinsing immediate after using tends to get a brush clean......

I do use the wire pin to brush it out, etc.
What's you secret sauce on keeping brushes fairly clean.

I tried soaking a brush in brush cleaner, then brushing out the buildup, etc.
Eh...brush is better, but not better than having a clean brush that is immediately rinsed after 1st cut.

mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I have never stored my brushes with paint in them between uses. I rinsed and cleaned them after each use and they tended to last a long time--even using them every day.

You can get brush cleaners at the art store for getting some of the built up paint out if it dries. The paint store has them too but the ones at the art store seem to work better and last longer.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #3

You mean you rinse between each coat of cutting in ?
I store mine after the 1st cut....and then depending on size of room, whether it be a hr or so.....when I do the second cut, the paint is somewhat dry in the middle of the brush...
Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I rinse periodically as the brush starts building up and clean everyday or after finished with a particular aspect of what I am doing. I never stored mine in water or wrapped in plastic in the frig, etc. I did store roller covers in the frig or at least wrapped tightly in plastic.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #5

A brush comb is a useful tool to clean brushes.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #6

Covers wrapped in plastic rock ! I've had some stored for 3 weeks - just used it again to reroll and it's was nice and primed !

Maybe it's just Aura and how it fast it dries....
Used a brand new 1" to do a touchup on a very tight spot.
Just touched up 1 2" x 6" spot.
Then rinsed clean. The tips rinsed clean...but the middle of the brushes just soaked some paint and would not rinse out.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Not really sure about this. I have little problem keeping a brush usable, and then cleaning up at the end of the day. Maybe its more about knowing how to clean a brush?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #8

Any tips on brush cleaning.
I just give it a good swirl in a bucket of water with a drop of soap to get the majority of paint out, and then rinse clean under running water.

And the the 1" brush is totally still usable....meaning the tips are paint free.
I just found it off that literally, new brush, spot painted - then rinsed immediate and the paint in the *middle* of the brush would not rinse out. Which has always been my pet peeve with cutting in with Aura and the brushes. If I don't rinse them out immediate and just let them hang in a plastic bag - so when I do the second coat/cut later on, the middle of the brush starts getting grimey....that while a brush comb removeds it, the grimey that doesn't wash out ultimately leads to a stiffer and stiffer brush
Old 06-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Rubbin walls since'79

If you're having problems with the middle of the brush, hold the brush upside down under the running water and work the bristles until the water runs clean out of the ferrule.

I use a stiff fingernail brush instead of a metal comb or wire brush for thick stuff. A coarse scrubbie is also very handy for both the brush and the hands.

Then spin the brush ( usually between the hands or even knock against your palm ( soft surface- wont hurt anything) to remove excess water, straighten the bristles and hang dry. I have a tie rack above my clean up sink that I can hang many brushes from.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #10

The Aura dries so quick if you even leave it in a wet plastic bag.....for a hr or 2, that the paint close to the ferrules is rock hard....

I've never considered a scrubbie . I thought you had to *baby* the bristles when you wash them.

I'm curious how do ya'll store your brushes....is there even a *professional* brush holder.
I wash, tape a rope, hang them by the loop hole and put them on the clotheslines..
When it's about 90% dry, I put them back in the cardboard holder so they maintain it's shape
Old 06-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Most put them in the holder like you- I have another tie rack in my truck that I hang them from.

I don't get why wrapping doesn't work for you- maybe also put tape around the ferrule after wrapping. I think Aura is one of the easiest to clean out. And if it is wrapped so air can't get to it, it wont dry. It cant.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 06-25-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
If you're having problems with the middle of the brush, hold the brush upside down under the running water and work the bristles until the water runs clean out of the ferrule.

I use a stiff fingernail brush instead of a metal comb or wire brush for thick stuff. A coarse scrubbie is also very handy for both the brush and the hands.

Then spin the brush ( usually between the hands or even knock against your palm ( soft surface- wont hurt anything) to remove excess water, straighten the bristles and hang dry. I have a tie rack above my clean up sink that I can hang many brushes from.

Many, many moons ago, an old painter told me to never do that as it will "blow out" the brush, so I have never done it since. Do you routinely do that?
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
Rubbin walls since'79

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Many, many moons ago, an old painter told me to never do that as it will "blow out" the brush, so I have never done it since. Do you routinely do that?

Daily. You know they use pretty hi test glue ( yes glue, there I've said it!! lol) in the ferrule..
What will blow out the brush is if you don't get the paint out of the middle...
Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #14

I retract my statement. Some brushes do clean 100% with Aura....
My go to cut in brush I prefer i the 2nd one from the right.
I did use brush cleaner on this - on a overnight soak to get it back to fully clean

Took a pic.
The 1" all the way on the left....was a 10 minute job.
Mix paint, touched up a spot and then rinsed.
Paint was Aura Matte.
NEW brush.
See how the paint came clean off the tips but the *middle* would just not rinse clean...
What am I missing here

Old 06-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
Member at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
I retract my statement. Some brushes do clean 100% with Aura....
My go to cut in brush I prefer i the 2nd one from the right.
I did use brush cleaner on this - on a overnight soak to get it back to fully clean

Took a pic.
The 1" all the way on the left....was a 10 minute job.
Mix paint, touched up a spot and then rinsed.
Paint was Aura Matte.
NEW brush.
See how the paint came clean off the tips but the *middle* would just not rinse clean...
What am I missing here

What are you missing?
A good stiff knuckle brush, hot water and some dish soap.
Rinse, brush, work in some soap, brush, rinse and spin.
Put in keeper.
Takes less than 5 minutes.

Try wetting your brush good before painting helps also.

oldpaintdoc is offline   Reply With Quote