Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Can you texture plaster walls?

I am cleaning up (remodeling) an old house with plaster walls. I have removed 80 years of wallpaper and paint and am down to the raw plaster. There are cracks in the walls and crumbling corners and I intend to repair but I know that there will differences in texture after I repair and it will show if I just paint the walls.

My question is can I use drywall texture applied to the plaster to create a uniform surface to paint? Do I need to prime the plaster before I apply dry wall texture? I want to roll on the texture instead of spraying it on - should I use premixed mud or get a mix?

I would also appreciate any tips and tricks on applying texture with a roller!

Thanks!

destes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,052

Honestly, texturing is not for the novice. There are many professional painters that can't texture worth a hoot.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forum! Practice on a hidden area with your texture roller. Good points here on plaster and repairs: http://www.plaster-wall-ceiling-solu...questions.html
Be safe, Gary
Old 11-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

Yes, you can texture over plaster. First you'll want to clean your walls well, then repair your corners, cracks, and do any other repairs needed. Prime the walls with an oil based primer before you texture. As for what kind of texturing material to use that depends on what kind of look your going for. You can use ready mixed compound and thin it with water, you can use powder that gets mixed with water, or you can even use a pre mixed paint (SW Sandscapes), which will add texture to your walls. http://www.kelloggspainting.com/Anti...edTexture.html
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Haste Makes Waste

Rewards Points: 250

Why texture after repairing the cracks?? I just repaired numerous cracks in plaster after removing 96 years worth of painted wallpaper. I admit I was in shock seeing all those cracks on raw plaster, but with a lot of patience and hard work, I repaired the cracks, used Gardz and two coats of latex following the advise of Chrisn. The results are beautiful smooth walls. It can be done. Good luck. (btw....I was a newbie at wall repairs and achieved professional looking results)

Last edited by saggdevil; 11-06-2009 at 10:49 AM.
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

If your going to texture you want to repair the cracks first, at least major ones, if not when you apply the texture it will go into the cracks and your texture will not be uniform. I do agree with the fact that you can repair the plaster walls, paint, and have a smooth finish. We do it all of the time in older homes, I guess its a personal choice to texture or not.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drywall, plaster, primer, texture