Can You Sand Down Painted Wallpaper Seams - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

can you sand down painted wallpaper seams

can you sand down painted wallpaper seams, I've primed (2 Coats) and added (2 Coats) of the final paint, but the seams are coming up. Can I sand them down, spakel and repaint the areas?

Advertisement

mackied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

The problem is that the wallpaper is not bonding with the drywall behind it as well as paint or drywall compound would and the paint is dampening the paper and making it peel off of the wall. Wall paper glue is not very strong and loses it's grip when you wet it. You may be able to give a quick sand (don't sand too much) and try to flatten out the area with joint compound but I would not be surprised if it ends up cracking down the road as the paper continues to peel. On your next job you should take the extra time to remove the old wallpaper before attempting to paint.

Advertisement

brownmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I agree. It's a pain, but definitely worth the extra effort in removing the wallpaper before painting over. Previous homeowners painted over wallpaper in the master bathroom, so now not only are we seeing areas that peel, near the shower I believe some of the glue is leaking out from behind the paper due to the hot steam.
ClumsyCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

I agree with everyone else. it's definitely best in the long run to cut your losses now, and remove the paper. Paper can't be sanded, becuase the edges will get frizzy. It will also continue to peel, so the paint will crack.

It's a PIA, but removal is best. Don't forget to use an oil-based primer on the walls following removal. Removal requires the drywall to get wet, and after that process, latex primer won't work that well.

good luck
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
painted wallpaper seams