Can You Paint A Kitchen Counter Top? If So, How.. - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Can you paint a kitchen counter top? If so, how..

Hi all,
Ive been reading up on this subject and have gotten a ton of different answers. Some say "yes you can, just follow these steps", Others say "Absolutely not! It'll turn out terrible!" So I want to know .....CAN you?

It's a laminate counter top, never been painted before. If it is possible to paint them, what steps do I need to take?

Also, Has anyone tried Rustoleum counter top paint? If so what were your results?

Ive read that you should prime before painting your counter top, but rustoleum counter top paint tells you not to.. Will it work better if I dont, or are they just trying to sell more product?

I'd like any opinions/ experience stories on this subject. I understand a paint job will only last a few years at best but right now a new kitchen countertop just isnt in our budget.

THANKS! (Ps, sorry for the mini novel)

Advertisement

Danijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

you can paint just about anything. Heck, I've painted the water in a bowl of water before.

is it worth it? Not in my opinion. I don't know of any paints availble for use by the general public that doesn't cost more that simply replacing the countertop that would be hard enough or durable enough to be used as a counter top finish.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Prime, paint and poly. 4 or 5 thin coats of poly. Six is better. Recoat with poly every now and then. I have seen this work for 2 or 3 years.

My wife taped off squares in on our old counter top and marbleized the squares. Kept it like that for 2 or 3 years.

The last update was a stone paint from spray cans. Looked okay with 2 coats of poly, but water got to part of it. We redid that part and recoated with about 6t coats of poly. Holding up well so far.

We like to experiment.

By the way, these were water based products. She mixed water based with oil based once and had trouble with yellowing.

Would I do this for a customer? Hmm, not sure. They would have to understand it would not be a permanent fix.

These cab's came out of a Toys R Us, I think. This was quite sometime before 1998. They did crafts one them, so it may not have been Toys R Us. I do know they were very heavy. Doubled walled with pressboard and 3/4" ply if memory serves me correwctly.

Last edited by boman47k; 07-15-2010 at 09:40 PM.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:18 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

Just remember that anything you apply to you're counter top has to be a FOOD GRADE, product. You are going to be cutting and working with food and you do not want to be eating poly,paint etc. Cheaper and cleaner to replace the counter top
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Midwest chemicals has the proper products for counter tops, but the best way to apply it is with a hvlp sprayer, followed by a sealer, you can paint it using ordinary paints, but it won't last nearly as long. With the proper products and equipment you can even give your counter top a granite look and textured feel.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

aah, thanks all. I thought this topic was lost. (Didn't see it on the main page anymore, and I'm new here so I didnt know how to search for it)..

I know it'd only be a fix for a couple years.. My idea was we could paint it for now (because its sooooo ugly, and replacing it isnt in our budget at the moment) ....and save up for a new counter top in a few years or so.
Danijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Danijo did you end up painting them? I've read a ton about painting counters too and get mixed results. Some people say it worked great for them, others had disasters.

Advertisement

annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote