Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Can Perfectionists Commiserate Here?

I have recently purchased a new home and based upon the existing paint work believe the previous owners were blind (my other clue was the popcorn ceilings in every room - including closets and cabinets). There are numerous patch jobs around the house that they didn't even bother to sand before painting over, drips, brush lines, roller marks, painted over tape, debris stuck in the paint, and the paint surface is so rough that it chews off pieces of sponge as I wash with TSP. My first questions is, how do people do this? Are they completely oblivious? Do they set the roller down in the dirt while they take a break?

As I'm doing the prep work of scraping off the paint on the previous plaster patches so I can sand it properly, patching dents and holes, scraping out painted-over tape, and sanding off the gritty paint texture, I had a family member tell me that they don't understand why I'm wasting time sanding the walls. I pointed to some grit stuck in the paint and told them that I was trying to get rid of those. They couldn't see it! I told them to run their hand across the wall and feel the texture. They reported that it felt smooth to them! I'm thinking, "oh jeez, it's contagious and this house is infecting my family." It got me to thinking about how there are a lot of people in the world who are just completely oblivious to things. They paint over hair, stickers, and debris without noticing; they run the roller into the opposite wall at corners and don't see the blob of paint; they push the roller too hard and leave ridges of paint; and they miss spots. Despite all of that, they seem totally satisfied with their work. I wish it was so easy for me. It sucks noticing every little flaw; noticing that stupid roller line over in the corner when the Sun comes in the window just right.

Sorry to be off-topic to some degree, but I just wanted to vent about being told I was wasting my time doing proper prep work and to let any other similarly affected painters know they aren't alone.

BobSmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I am going through the same exact thing it sounds like. For me the breaking point was the previous home owner using dry wall tape, and tape only, to cover a hole then slapping one quick layer of paint over it as though that took care of the problem. Not to mention the lazily textured walls used to cover up the lousy dry wall seems. I understand that texturing is a style that some people like, but just using it to cover up your work is pretty bad. We spent a couple days, here and there, scraping the texture off, sanding and mudding only to paint it to be able to see the rest of the areas that need to be repaired. It takes twice the amount of work to make up for a bad job done the first time. And oh, the hardened paint drips in every single corner in the house... how it erks me so.

You are not alone!

dcponto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,104

[quote=dcponto;713646]I am going through the same exact thing it sounds like. For me the breaking point was the previous home owner using dry wall tape, and tape only, to cover a hole then slapping one quick layer of paint over it as though that took care of the problem. Not to mention the lazily textured walls used to cover up the lousy dry wall seems. I understand that texturing is a style that some people like, but just using it to cover up your work is pretty bad. We spent a couple days, here and there, scraping the texture off, sanding and mudding only to paint it to be able to see the rest of the areas that need to be repaired. It takes twice the amount of work to make up for a bad job done the first time. And oh, the hardened paint drips in every single corner in the house... how it erks me so.

You are not alone![/quote]
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

are your door hinges and outlets painted too?
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

I've met that painter and his name is Ed--his helpers name is Ed also----

I haven't seen him around in a while----must be working in your town.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

You guys would be the ones to work for. When effort is put in to do a quality job, it's nice when it's noticed.
It also makes the value of a trained professional who does that work clear. Not everyone can do it.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
are your door hinges and outlets painted too?
So much so that the screws are no longer useable from being filled with paint.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
You guys would be the ones to work for. When effort is put in to do a quality job, it's nice when it's noticed.
It also makes the value of a trained professional who does that work clear. Not everyone can do it.
I would have hired a pro if I was rich enough. I never thought much about painting until an acquaintance had her interior painted by a pro. The walls were beautifully smooth with hard edges at the trim. I was very impressed.

I certainly prefer to leave things to the pros, but money is an issue. Also a big issue is figuring out who is the master painter and who's the guy who decided the start a painting business because it's easy to roller on paint over outlets and hinges. I do not have good luck selecting contractors even though I look through reviews on yp.com and yelp.com, ask for references, etc. I still manage to get the guys who take shortcuts, do shoddy work, fail to show up, etc.

The only way to be sure is to do it yourself.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,146

There are various levels of "perfection" in the painting biz. I know guys who sand between every coat, vacuum the walls, and then damp mop them to get them completely smooth. It's a very tedious process. I kinda fall in between...........my rates reflect that........I want the customer to have walls they are proud of.......chunks of debris is NOT acceptable. The really good painters are always busy so finding one is tough. You have to hope that a friend recommends one and he returns your calls. I also check into the background of potential clients. I want to know that I will be paid in a timely manner & that I will be free of any hindrance to getting the job done, i.e., customer asking thousands of questions, dog not penned up, kids running around, etc.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (08-25-2011)