DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can oil based primer (zinsser) be covered with acrylic paint?

25K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Sir MixAlot 
#1 ·
I have primered my drywall ceiling with Zinsser oil based primer/sealer. A section of the ceiling will not be textured so it will be coated with regular ceiling flat paint (which I assume is not oil based). Will I run into any problems since I used an oil based primer?

THanks.:wink:

#2 ·
No, you shouldn't have any problems.

You can use EITHER a latex or oil based paint over EITHER a latex or oil based primer.

But, there is really no good reason to use a flat paint on a ceiling other than to hide defects in the drywall up there. Some people suggest using a flat paint helps to scatter light reflected off the ceiling better. In my view, it's better to use a glossier paint up there if you smoke or burn candles or incense in your house so that you can clean that ceiling more easily.

#4 ·
I have primered my drywall ceiling with Zinsser oil based primer/sealer. A section of the ceiling will not be textured so it will be coated with regular ceiling flat paint (which I assume is not oil based). Will I run into any problems since I used an oil based primer?

THanks.:wink:
Should be fine. Props for doing it the right way! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.