Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Can I use wall liner to make my walls smooth??

I am remodeling a fixer-upper with the help of my dad, and whoever else will volunteer! I have two issues regarding the walls. One, I do not like the thick knockdown texture. Two, there are two new walls we've put up that are currently bare drywall.

I was thinking about using wallpaper over the two new walls to avoid having to rent a hopper. I was on a website looking at wallpaper and came across and ad for wall liner (http://www.stevesblindsandwallpaper....all_Liner.aspx) It says: "Ideal to cover cracks, rough plaster, cement blocks, paneling and stucco to create a smooth surface that can be painted or wallpapered over."

Has anyone ever used this??

Well, considering I had gotten a quote a couple days before this for $1,300 to retexture the walls, this seemed like a potential cheap alternative. Could I use this on ALL my walls, then just paint over it to create a smooth surface? Is that stupid? (I'm a "newbie.") If I do this, would I need to use a sealer on the bare drywall first?

Michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #2

My gut reaction to this problem would be to prime all my walls with a high quality/all surface product and then skim coat a layer of finishing drywall compound, then re-prime. If you’re careful enough, sanding should be minimal. I do not consider time into this equation but it would definitely be a super cheap fix.

Im not a fan of your paneling idea; non-standard products are just going to be a pain for the next guy whose working on the house, and you'll be kicking yourself it its you. Also, how is the paneling going to look against your ceiling and inside corners? It might look silly if it’s not a prefect fit.

Last edited by Eric J; 12-09-2009 at 12:40 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Eric J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #3

Smile

Thank you Eric!

You wrote: "My gut reaction to this problem would be to prime all my walls with a high quality/all surface product and then skim coat a layer of finishing drywall compound, then re-prime." Would this just be for the bare drywall, or would you apply primer to the already textured/painted surface? Do you think the new and old walls would match relatively well by doing this?
Michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:01 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I use Nu Wal every now and then when there isn't time or money to do things right and re-texture. It will only do so much if the walls are in terrible shape though. It is easy to work with once you get the hang of it but it helps to have two people until then.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Why would you want to put the paper on the new drywall? It is already smooth,right?Nu wall will cover the old walls, but as said, it is a real pain to work with. The wall lining paper is relativly easy but still will not cover really rough texture.You do need some wall papering experience to hang either one, it is not as easy as it looks, especially the nu wall.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaela View Post
Thank you Eric!

You wrote: "My gut reaction to this problem would be to prime all my walls with a high quality/all surface product and then skim coat a layer of finishing drywall compound, then re-prime." Would this just be for the bare drywall, or would you apply primer to the already textured/painted surface? Do you think the new and old walls would match relatively well by doing this?
For the new walls, i would tape/mud/prime as per the standard way of finishing drywall. Just google video "drywall finishing" to see how this is done. I would use the Prime/Skim/Prime technique for your textured walls.

This may take a few attempts depending on your experience, but the finished product will be smooth walls, which will all match.
Eric J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #7

Here in western NY we have a lot of old houses. I use wall liner on a lot of jobs. It is very good at bridging cracks and holes. Think of it as a blanket. anything raised off the wall will show. It is a cheap fix. The best wall liner to use is a heavy duty wall liner. You paste the back of it put it on the wall and then paste the top. The paste soaks in and when it drys it becomes rock hard . I usually buy it from http://www.eadeswallpaper.com for $13.95 per double roll. A double roll covers 55 square feet. Many a old wall is being held together by my wall liner.

wallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knockdown, liner, textured wall, wall, wallpaper