Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #1

Share |

Can I use exterior primer/sealer on new drywall?

Its an outdoor poolhouse, not wrapped, insulated, heated or cooled. While it is a sealed building (doors and windows), it is exposed to the seasonal temperature extremes of SW Ontario (Canada). It has a wrap-around bar area and when the bar windows are fully open the interior walls are exposed to the beating sun 5+ hours every day. The walls will also be exposed to the odd drips from wet bathing suits.

I thought I should probably use an exterior primer and paint, even though technically its an indoor space. (the walls won't be exposed to the rain or snow, just sun and temperature swings)

Is exterior primer/sealer OK for new drywall or should I stick with drywall primer (which only seems to come in an interior primer version)?

(I asked this in the drywall forum as well)

2 threads on the same subject merged

silli_kitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Exterior products should not be used in a sealed environment, something to do with mildewcide and off gasing.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Something to read:

http://www.onlinetips.org/drywall-primer
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #4

Considering this is an outdoor auxiliary building that is not going to be a lived-in space and fully opened up when in use (all windows and doors for a very open, airy feel) would off-gassing pose much of a problem? It will be closed up and only used as storage space for the winter.

I know nothing about paints (except to use a good one ) and I'm not sure what the difference between exterior and interior primers and paints is. None of the exterior primers I have seen mention that its OK to use on new drywall, but who puts drywall on an exterior, right? So is it OK but they just don't mention it because it never happens, or is it not a good thing to use on drywall?

My ASSumption is that there something more resilient about exterior primers and paints that will help keep them from cracking and peeling through the temperature extremes and humidity changes of the seasons and protect a bit more from the sun's rays. But, I ASSume....
silli_kitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Prime with Eco Spec® Interior Latex Primer Sealer (231) and apply 2 coats BM Aura exterior

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bmpsweb...erior_AuraTabs

done
Old 07-07-2010, 04:00 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

already answered in the other post
Old 07-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #7

I would imagine that for peace of mind you could just use Fresh Start or Zinsser 1-2-3 which are both interior/exterior primers. Aura Exterior is a great product so you get my vote for that. Exterior paints will have certain mildewcides and UV protection that interior paints will not have - as a result you will have more offgassing - for your application that shouldn't pose a problem. In addition, the Aura exterior is a low VOC product anyway. Technically that product is self priming so you could actually go right over new sheetrock without even priming, but certainly a primer will not hurt..... Good luck!

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote