Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2006, 11:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

can i paint this stuff?

The basement of my house was finished, but on the cheap. The walls are covered with some sort of paneling--extremely dark, extremely rough. You can hardly run your hand over it without getting a splinter. It is very dark brown. The basement looks like a dungeon.

What can I do to cover it? I don't want to drywall unless there is no other option. Can I texture paint? Apply the super-thick paintable wall covering? I saw some very nice-looking paintable "beadboard" paneling at Lowe's that I thought might be a good idea. Can something like that simply be installed over what is there and then painted?

We are trying to create a clean, bright exercise/rec/play room that is useful and attractive but not high-end. We're thinking light maple vinyl plank for the floor. There is a small windowless room that we're going to convert into a walk-in storage unit, so the main area can be relatively clutter free. That room is also covered in this horrible paneling, and I'd love to paint it if it all possible.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. We really want to do this ourselves over the next year. Thanks in advance.

jdm3413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:55 AM   #2
registered

can i paint this stuff?

whats behind it just studs? Can you post a pic so we can see what it is?

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:31 AM   #3
Pro Painter

can i paint this stuff?

If it's really dark brown, you can paint it in several steps. Most likely the brown will bleed through anything but a solvent based primer. The result will be a lighter color, but all the grooves and rough texture will still be there.

I like the wallpaper idea. The thick paper will hide the grooves better than paint and will leave you with a nice smooth wall, but getting the wall in a condition to accept the paper might be a problem. Are you thinking of the thick paintable wall paper?

Beadboard is the most desirable, but as 747 pointed out, you need to find out how the paneling is attached. Typically, furring strips are tacked to the concrete (like studs) and paneling attached to it. You can go over the paneling with beadboard though.

Last edited by joewho; 11-27-2006 at 12:37 AM.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:56 AM   #4
Pro Painter

can i paint this stuff?

Beadboard isn't a bad idea...painting or wall covering just won't give the appeal you're after though. It won't be the best looking thing, but you can coat it successfully, if that's what you're after. I would prime it with a good alkyd primer and then topcoat. Like joe said, you may have some tannin bleeding issues, in which case I would break out some Zinsser's BIN and be done with it. Be careful though, coating large areas with a primer like BIN requires a proper respirator and good ventilation.
AAPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:39 PM   #5

can i paint this stuff?

Thanks, everybody. I haven't been able to take a successful picture of the wall. No matter how much I light it, it just looks like a picture of a piece of brown paper. BTW, there are no grooves in this paneling; it's solid sheets. We are pretty sure it's attached to furring strips.

I'd like to do the beadboard look in the main room and hallway and paint the small room (which will only be used for storage). I'm really concerned about ventilation, though. There is a back door, but it's far away from the room I would paint, and that room is windowless.

So if anybody looks in again, could you comment on the ventilation issue? How do you handle that in an enclosed space? Fans? Or is it just not a good idea, and should I just bite the bullet and do the beadboard everywhere?

Thanks again for your help.
jdm3413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:57 AM   #6
Pro Painter

can i paint this stuff?

What I do is use a painters respirator. Can't really tell you what to do, it's a judgement call on your part. A fan might help, just know that a paper mask won't do anything for solvent based primer, original kilz will work just fine.
Good luck.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:24 AM   #7

can i paint this stuff?

oil based primer is heavier than air. put a large fan on the floor pointed out the door. leave it running for a while to get air flow out of the room you are working in. you may want to use two fans for an extended run. set one facing out the door and the second one at the doorway of the room you are working in. oile base prime the walls first no matter what to see how it looks. it couldn't hurt. then sand the walls before applying a second coat. you can finish with a latex wall paint.
if the room is windowless it has no real value to the house so spending money on the room isn't worth the dollars. in order for a room to be a room in a house it has to have a window.

Last edited by gojetcity; 11-29-2006 at 11:31 AM.
gojetcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:26 AM   #8

can i paint this stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojetcity View Post
oil based primer is heavier than air. put a large fan on the floor pointed out the door. leave it running for a while to get air flow out of the room you are working in. you may want to use two fans for an extended run. set one facing out the door and the second one at the doorway of the room you are working in. oile base prime the walls first no matter what to see how it looks. it couldn't hurt. then sand the walls before applying a second coat. you can finish with a latex wall paint.
if the room is windowless it has no real value to the house so spending money on the room isn't worth the dollars. in order for a room to be a room in a house it has to have a window.
I fully agree.

Oil base primer is 100% the way to go. You may end up doing 2 coats but it will adhere to the walls phenominally and will fill in any small wood grain grooves, as well, it will seal the wood. As for ventilation get some fans in there and keep the air moving. Get some buddies over and paint as quickly as you can and get the hell out of that room (some people are really bothered by the fumes of oil based paint and actually get sick).

I would avoid using BIN, that stuff is amazing but man are the fumes that stuff lets off are horrid. I find that 2 coats of oil cover any colour very well. I can't see black bleeding through 3 coats.

Doing much more than just a paint job in this room would probably be a waste so I would just pick a nice light colour and giv'er.
McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:37 AM   #9
Pro Painter

can i paint this stuff?

Another tip is to open a door upstairs and one down stairs to get fresh air flow. A fan down low should work, or better yet, a fan up high in the door way will force the air out at the bottom.