Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #1

Share |

Can I paint bare particle board for my kitchen

Hi I was really hoping someone can help me. I am a new home owner and bought a beautiful house but wasn't liking my kitchen cabinets so I decided to hire some one to repaint them .So they spay painted them and they notice a sheet if plastic film was peeling so they decided to peel them all off leaving the particle board expose. So my concern is that they were for my kitchen and that moisture or heat can cause it to crumble . Please help is there anyway I can fix it other then replacing my doors. Can I paint over particle board? Is there a sealer I can apply to make it durable ? Please help

Melody

Melody909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #2

Do you mean the painter peeled the plastic laminate off of the particle board cabinets?

IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #3

Certainly a mess has been created by your painter although if the laminate was coming off there was little else he could do. Particle board is basically MUSH if not coated with something. You can surely paint it. I would prime with an OIL-based primer mainly because it would seal in any possible leaching from the wood and would really seal that crumbly wood to accept the topcoats. It won't be pretty, but, if you must, have at it.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGuy View Post
Do you mean the painter peeled the plastic laminate off of the particle board cabinets?
Yes they peeled it off leaving the particle board expose.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Certainly a mess has been created by your painter although if the laminate was coming off there was little else he could do. Particle board is basically MUSH if not coated with something. You can surely paint it. I would prime with an OIL-based primer mainly because it would seal in any possible leaching from the wood and would really seal that crumbly wood to accept the topcoats. It won't be pretty, but, if you must, have at it.
So do you think I should just replace it ? They also stated that paint with primer will seal with 2 coats. Can you recommend a paint and primer that I can use. I already paid them up front now I will have to hire new people to fix their mistake .
Old 03-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #6

Sounds like thermo-foil doors. Looks pretty when new but when they start to peel it's good night Irene.
Patch as best u can and try to live with it or buy new doors. The choice is up to you.
Danahy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #7

At this point, I think my vote would be to replace the doors. To repaint particle board is, well, gonna leave you with, well, particle board doors and that's just no good. They're gonna be dirt catchers for sure. Plus, to paint them is going to be a huge hassle. Replace is my vote.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
joecaption (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
Painting Contractor

Its a shame but I'm voting for replacing them. There's no cost efficient way to paint it and have it look good.
rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody909 View Post
So do you think I should just replace it ? They also stated that paint with primer will seal with 2 coats. Can you recommend a paint and primer that I can use. I already paid them up front now I will have to hire new people to fix their mistake .
Yes none. All paint and primer is latex (water based) you think you have a mess now put water on particle board. It will swell in places and never go back down, in other places it will crumble. Really your only option is to replace.
It really wasn't a mistake if it was loose and coming off there was not really anything that could have been with it.

Last edited by ToolSeeker; 03-02-2014 at 06:48 PM.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-03-2014), VAProPainter (03-05-2014)