Can I Add Color With Acid Stain Over Concrete Stain? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I add color with acid stain over concrete stain?

Our raised deck had treated lumber that needed repair so my structural engineer husband decided the best long-term solution was to pour 4' concrete squares over the deck. (He did calculations be ensure that the structure could handle the extra weight). Of course, I decided that it would look best with cedar 2x4's framing each 4' square so that's what we did. I wanted the look of acid stained concrete but worried about coating the cedar with the acid stain so I just did a light coat of stain on each square (after staining the cedar). Of course, I hate it. What I would like to do is use a darker acid stain and spray some over the existing stain to add variations in the color. Can I spray acid stain onto the new stain that I've done and have it add variations? Will it work? If it wasn't so expensive I would just try it to see, but I don't want to waste the money if someone has tried it and it doesn't work.. I tried to include a pic....not sure that worked. If it did, the left part is what it all looks like now with stain.
Attached Images

Advertisement

mandig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

never mind, I misread your post. I thought you were asking about applying an acid stain over a regular pigmented stain...

Advertisement

Last edited by clambake6; 06-04-2013 at 10:44 PM.
clambake6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Typically, I try to sell the customer on 2 different acid stain colors for this very reason. While the first color may be blotchy, the second will generally fill in the weak ares due to it's different chemical reaction with the concrete. Not sure that you can go wrong with 2 colors, but you also need to understand that all acid staining is very subtle before you apply an enhancing sealer to it, which will make a HUGE difference............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote