Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #1

Share |

Calling Pro Painters - Airless Spraying

What's involved in spray painting - HVLP ?

Anyone care to give me the laymans terms guide

- thin paint
- pour in container
- test atomization and spray away

I'm over at this jobsite and watching this guy just use regular 50 gal compressor, no water filter, nothing....and he's been spraying out there doors. The no brush finish is amazing for what's he doing (which is not in a shop). Just straight up sawhorses in the least dust room of a *jobsite* just spraying, sanding, spraying as he goes....

The thought has always intrigured me to invest in a HLVP setup but it looked too complicated. The results however are erring me back on looking on getting a HLVP setup

mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #2

I would take this question over to the professional painters chat at www.painttalk.com. Lots of topics over there.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #3

They frown on weekend warriors..
Old 09-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
They frown on weekend warriors..
You don't actually have to post your question, Mobile......there's a wealth of info over there........maybe even a separate section for spray painting.

Someone will come along here and answer your question, though. I'm not much of a spray guy due to the higher insurance rates and I think you can get a better paint job the old fashioned way.......brush and roller, although spraying doors and trim does look pretty darn good.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

True..

In the right hands spraying can be awesome- in the wrong it can be catastrophic.

HVLP is the least dangerous, because it is what the letters stand for- Hi volume low pressure- least overspray, most controllable.
Usually not for high production.
Situation to spray has to be right, or made right. This is where most DIY fail.
Plus there's technique in spraying. Flat doors are about the easiest, but still there's things to know about how to start and stop, how to angle the gun, consistent distance etc.
And half of spraying is playing with the gun, taking apart, getting settings right etc.
You ready to learn all that? Have anyone to show you?
And not all HVLP setups are born equal.
My set up ( 4 stage turbine) is getting old in the tooth. There is newer and better now, but i use it very seldom. The situation is usually not right in an occupied home.

And you can never touch up a spray job. You can sometimes with a brush job.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
handpaintedbysteve.com

Hey mobiledynamics,

In order to have your project come out looking professional, you must use professional equipment and then you’re talking bucks. My dad always said, “you can’t do a million dollar job with a ten cent tool”. There’s a lot of truth in those words. Most qualified professional spray painters didn’t read a book or go to school to learn how to spray. We learn the hard way by making mistakes and learning from them. Can you afford to make those mistakes and improve future projects, not to mention the investment cost of professional equipment?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #7

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago and started with a $100.00 HVLP unit from Earlex. I am not doing large projects but rather small things around the house and I also wanted that perfect paint job. In my experience most things came ok much better than I could of ever done, as a weekend warrior, with a brush. I have since moved up to a more expensive Earlex system and am getting better with it over time. The biggest thing I have done is a huge build-in bookcase/tv/entertaining
area in the family room. I sprayed the cabinet doors in the garage and after spending a ton of time, masking, sprayed the entire bookcase
inside the house with very little overspray. As all these projects are
in my home and I may spend more time trying to do the best I can
the wife and friends that have seen the results rave about it. They
all could be lying to me though.

Try it, practice, read as much as you can and start with smaller projects.
Believe me there are tons of things you can use it for. Moreover have fun!
pinkfloyd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #8

Unless I'm doing a full floor renovation, out here in my part of town, the good contractors are all doing half million + jobs....
So for the scope of the jobs I need...no pro will touch it. Too small of a job. A perfect example would be my tilesetter. It's really mainly for trim, siding, etc - and possibly progress to a different system for room painting. I have a cabinetmaker who does all my builts in, etc and the finish is impeccable. Then again, he's got a dedicated spray room, etc, etc.

I'd be curious....
Can you go *heavy* on the coats when spraying something like wrought iron railing.
Or is similar to a rattle can - light coats..
Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #9

In my experience I typically do a primer, one coat, and then 2 coats of the top, light coats as I am always scared of runs, but only have had a couple if the years......Again I have all the time in the world and take it. After the first coat I lightly sand again and wipe down and blow everything off multiple times before the last coat.

I sure others will have some answers as I am DIY and not a pro but any sense. Even after doing HVLP for a couple of years I am still learning!
pinkfloyd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #10

New to site if i get it wrong someone tell me. You didn't say what you were going to use this for, to do your house or pro work. Sounds to me like the guy you saw was using just a spray rig(like they use for say cars). Neither airless nor HVLP uses compressors. HVLP uses a turbine and how many stages the turbine has determines the cost. Another drawback to HVLP is unless you get the really high dollar 3or4 stage units you have to thin all your paints till it runs thru a little cup they give you in an allotted amounted of time. Another option is airless, less cost to get started, does good job, less hassle (no thinning). Big drawback -overspray. If your just doing this for yourself I would suggest to start maybe one of those yellow buzz sprayers (wagner) or Lowes sells a graco paint station 3900 whice is an HVLP unit for $150 try it before you invest $1000s in a big unit. Sorry for long post hope it helps.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote