Cabinet Paint Still Tacky After A Week.... - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Cabinet paint still tacky after a week....

Last weekend, I painted some trim and cabinet doors with Ace Cabinet, Door, and Trim paint. The trim is white over factory primer and two coats of the Behr premium plus ultra with primer in it. It has finished beautifully, to a nice hard shine and is exactly what I wanted. (Whereas the Behr... wasn't...)

The black, is on the generic HD oak cabinet doors that were unfinished, then also had 2 coats of the Behr on them. They're still tacky and "damp" at this point (get a little color off of them by touch). I'm guessing maybe I put it on too thick, but am unsure what my options are to "fix" it. Presumably, it would have set by now if it was going to. Do I need to sand? Repaint? Reprime?

Any help appreciated.

Mike

Advertisement

tigereye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

were the oak doors truly 'raw' or did they maybe already have an oil finish on them?
if not, then the behr paint is the likely culprit....
did you remember to primer them?
if so, then the behr paint is the likely culprit....

DM

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
were the oak doors truly 'raw' or did they maybe already have an oil finish on them?
if not, then the behr paint is the likely culprit....
did you remember to primer them?
if so, then the behr paint is the likely culprit....

DM
The doors were raw (and rough for that matter). Just bought them a couple of weeks ago. The Behr was their "all in one" product with primer in it. It's what my Dad told me to get when I first started to talk about painting the cabinets... note to self... research first... don't listen to dad about paint...

I figure that sanding them down at this point would probably make a mess if the paint hasn't cured, but not sure if there's better solution.
tigereye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
100 Year Family Tradition

Did you use an paint additive in the paint before you coated the cabinets?

After it completely dries you need to sand down, making sure none of the coatings you applied are going to peel off. You can actually strip off the failed coating which is what I would do just to be safe that in a few months you do not have problems.

Glyptex is a great choice for coating cabinets. The main idea is always dull/Clean/Dry before you coat. Never fall for the all in one coatings. Always use a undercoater that will grip the surface and allow the top coats to bond.
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

don't listen to dad about paint...

You got that right.As you said if it is not completely cured( 30 days for normal latex, Behr with primer? who knows) you will never be able to sand it. I would probably get some stripper( paint) and start from scratch with REAL primer and paint, that means avoiding Bloes and Homely Depot altogether.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

what he said

DM
Old 09-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,070

If you could successfully mix primer and paint together, then they would have been doing it decades ago. The stuff you need to have in primer to make it primer really leaves no room left for the stuff you need to make it paint. If you mix it 50/50, then the bonding, sealing, stainblocking and penetrating power of the primer is cut in half as well as the finish quality of the paint is also cut in half.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
If you could successfully mix primer and paint together, then they would have been doing it decades ago. The stuff you need to have in primer to make it primer really leaves no room left for the stuff you need to make it paint. If you mix it 50/50, then the bonding, sealing, stainblocking and penetrating power of the primer is cut in half as well as the finish quality of the paint is also cut in half.

Makes sense to me

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote