Cabinet Paint Brands & Other ?? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cabinet Paint Brands & other ??

I'm planning on reapainting my dreadful melamine cabinets with oak trim.

Do I have any other options beside using an oil based paint, I live in a building & the ventilation isn't too great.

I'd appreciate any reccomendations on primer & paint. and if i can use the same paint on the oak trim as on the melamine.

How soon after painting can I put the doors back up?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

fixnbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Just about any quality bonding primer and paint from a paint store( ie, not big box) will work. Go to a Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, etc and ask.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-01-2012)
Old 01-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sherwin Williams makes a "cabinet paint" and others will have paint made for melamine
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If they are melamine/laminate you should use a melamine paint. Or you need to use a primer that claims to stick to plastic. Stinky, sticky suff and you cannot mix pigments into it like other paint so have to stick with the color choices it comes in.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Insl-X makes a primer called Stix, that may be a good first step for you. They also make a product called Cabinet Coat......
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #6

Thanks guys, the colors not really an issue just going for straight white..guess im gonna have a busy few weekends ahead of me!
fixnbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Am heading to SW now to get me some Proclassic Acrylic for my kitchen cabinets. Hoping this is a good choice!
annie68164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie68164 View Post
Am heading to SW now to get me some Proclassic Acrylic for my kitchen cabinets. Hoping this is a good choice!
As suggested, you need a primer under it or all your labor will be lost.

A good bonding primer on clean and prepped cabinets for sure.

Melamine paint, by the way, might be something to consider. It is sticky stuff and expensive. It tends to chip if you ding it but otherwise makes a nice kitchen cabinet surface. It comes in factory colors and some tint bases.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #9

I just the rustoleum cabinet transformations kit and loved it. There is no sanding or priming prep. It has a deglosser, then you apply 2 coats of the bond coat. IF you want to glaze it comes with glaze and gauze, and then you do the top coat. The top coat was the hardest to apply but its beautiful and easy. It says its good for melamine too.
kvmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #10

someone posted a snide comment and its not there anymore, but I'll address it anyway. I'm in no way an expert on remodeling and stuff, which is why I came here anyway. But I'm not incompetent or illiterate. I just followed the directions, and painted. I mean, gosh, I'd love to claim how awesome I am, but truthfully, its not me, its the product. I would love to post pics...so come back tomorrow and when its daylight, I will take some nice pics. The product does speak for itself! Here's a link of someone who did it themselves. http://thedomesticdiva.wordpress.com...ransformation/
Old 03-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmommy View Post
I just the rustoleum cabinet transformations kit and loved it. There is no sanding or priming prep. It has a deglosser, then you apply 2 coats of the bond coat. IF you want to glaze it comes with glaze and gauze, and then you do the top coat. The top coat was the hardest to apply but its beautiful and easy. It says its good for melamine too.
I do this for a living and last year I met a customer that wanted his cabinets redone, upon meeting he was pre sold on using the Rustoleum kit. His son worked at HD and he had already purchased the material. I told him I had never used it before and would not give a warranty on it but told him I was sure I could do it better than a HO. I gave a bid and he accepted and I did the project for him. Normally I would never do a cabinet job like this but the results were satisfactory. As far as how long it holds up that I can not say and in all honesty it is an ambitious diy project as I had a good amount of hours in it. I followed specs to the T other than the second coat of topcoat I used.

Here is what the Rustoleum looked like when I got done. look at post 14 I think.

Need advice on refinishing my kitchen

Also to be clear I still do cabinets the traditional ways.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #12

wow...those look really good! I bet the traditional way probably does work better in the long run, but with someone with no experience, barely any money, I love the way the rustoleum works. I do know that the bond coat scratched off really easy. Once the top coat was on, its seems really strong. And it was a lot of work, don't get me wrong, but the whole sanding and priming seems more work than what I wanted to get into. But thanks for the pics cuz they do look really nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to kvmommy For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmommy View Post
Great. I just asked that question. I should have looked before posting it. Thanks.

Advertisement

Darkerdoll is offline   Reply With Quote