Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Which Cabinet Paint?

Hello,

I am about to remodel my kitchen and have a question about what type/brand of paint to use on the cabinets. I have used latex and oil on walls & exterior of the house, but not sure what to do here. I have seen comments about INSLX Cabinet Acrylic, Fine Paints of Europe and Enamel.

Recommendations?

Thank you

tidenumone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Which Cabinet Paint?

More important than paint in a kitchen is prep. It lacks glitze and glamour but you must clean the cabinets. And the hardware too. Then you must de-gloss the surfaces with fine grit paper.

You should prime cabinets and I like using an alkyd since it is the great equalizer. Alkyd primers, with one exception, are solvent based. They may not be available in some US states so a nice high bond latex acrylic primer will work.

Plan on covering with a high quality paint store, not box store latex or even solid acrylic enamel. I would use a latex acrylic with some sheen on cabinets.

Given your paint list, I suspect you are across the pond from us? I am not sure my paint recommendations would be helpful to you. Fine paints of Europe used to be stellar but the same company is trying to unload the Glidden brand on us through box stores.

Advice many of us give should resonate and work well where you are? Buy and expect quality paint and counsel from a paint store.

And you know to stay away from those $10 a bagful brushes right mate? Buy a nice, longhandled angled 2.5 sash brush, or two, suited to the paints you decide on. Take care of the brushes and they will last you a lifetime.

Enamel, by the way, is rather an aging generic terms that seems to have more to do with sheen of paint that anything else.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 22

Which Cabinet Paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
More important than paint in a kitchen is prep. It lacks glitze and glamour but you must clean the cabinets. And the hardware too. Then you must de-gloss the surfaces with fine grit paper.

You should prime cabinets and I like using an alkyd since it is the great equalizer. Alkyd primers, with one exception, are solvent based. They may not be available in some US states so a nice high bond latex acrylic primer will work.

Plan on covering with a high quality paint store, not box store latex or even solid acrylic enamel. I would use a latex acrylic with some sheen on cabinets.

Given your paint list, I suspect you are across the pond from us? I am not sure my paint recommendations would be helpful to you. Fine paints of Europe used to be stellar but the same company is trying to unload the Glidden brand on us through box stores.

Advice many of us give should resonate and work well where you are? Buy and expect quality paint and counsel from a paint store.

And you know to stay away from those $10 a bagful brushes right mate? Buy a nice, longhandled angled 2.5 sash brush, or two, suited to the paints you decide on. Take care of the brushes and they will last you a lifetime.

Enamel, by the way, is rather an aging generic terms that seems to have more to do with sheen of paint that anything else.

Apparently not to those across the big pond
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #4

Which Cabinet Paint?

Or those who now very little about anything other then latex paint.

Let me also add some additional details.

I have done a significant amount of home improvement work (painted outside of house, rebuild the chimney, installed a new brick wall/bay window and build out my attic as another room.)

The first item that I am going to paint is an armoire for my daughter (she is 2). I have already sanded it down with 220 and replaced all the bad/damaged items.

I have then cleaned it with a weak simple green solution and will wipe down with denatured alcohol before I start. I will also be using the Zinsser BIN Primer.

My hope is to then spray the exterior of the armoire white and paint the inside pink & purple.

Thank you,
Jonathan
tidenumone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 22

Which Cabinet Paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidenumone View Post
Or those who now very little about anything other then latex paint.

Let me also add some additional details.

I have done a significant amount of home improvement work (painted outside of house, rebuild the chimney, installed a new brick wall/bay window and build out my attic as another room.)

The first item that I am going to paint is an armoire for my daughter (she is 2). I have already sanded it down with 220 and replaced all the bad/damaged items.

I have then cleaned it with a weak simple green solution and will wipe down with denatured alcohol before I start. I will also be using the Zinsser BIN Primer.

My hope is to then spray the exterior of the armoire white and paint the inside pink & purple.

Thank you,
Jonathan
Bin is fine but hardly necessary for this project.I would use a less stinky primer like 123 or any quality bonding primer. I break out the Bin for nicotine stain jobs and or tannin bleeding jobs only.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #6

Which Cabinet Paint?

I use alot of oil and the new water borne alkyds. Oil if I have the choice,

Here are the best Oil - Fine Paints of Europe satin or Brilliant

Latex _ Benjamin Moore advanced...here is my review http://www.shearerpainting.com/blog/...rwin-williams/

Home repairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2

Which Cabinet Paint?

Fine paints of Europe used to be stellar but the same company is trying to unload the Glidden brand on us through box stores.

Sdester- You should get your facts straight before posting inaccurate information. Fine Paints of Europe is sold through various independent dealers in the US. They are not the same as Akzo Nobel.

You would be amazed (perhaps not) that many formulations of paint sold in box stores are sold in company paint stores run by manufacturers. Yet you keep repeating this. No one is "unloading" products on you, although you probably never tried these products anyway. In the United States, everyone has the freedom to choose which products to purchase.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #8

Which Cabinet Paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will22 View Post
Fine paints of Europe used to be stellar but the same company is trying to unload the Glidden brand on us through box stores.

Sdester- You should get your facts straight before posting inaccurate information. Fine Paints of Europe is sold through various independent dealers in the US. They are not the same as Akzo Nobel.

You would be amazed (perhaps not) that many formulations of paint sold in box stores are sold in company paint stores run by manufacturers. Yet you keep repeating this. No one is "unloading" products on you, although you probably never tried these products anyway. In the United States, everyone has the freedom to choose which products to purchase.
I have never heard of anybody unloading to Box stores. The box stores actually dominate paint sales although the paint is substandard. that is why most painting contractors buy from dealerships.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Which Cabinet Paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will22 View Post

Fair enough and good point. I had read that Akzo Nobel was acquiring FPOE but it has not happened yet. Perhaps it will not come to pass. I rather hope not but it is real hard for a small company, even with superior products, to survive at the FPOE price point? Isn't it still $130/gallon sales priced? Doesn't that put it in the "if you have to ask you cannot afford it" category?

The Glidden sold in paint stores here is fine stuff. The same in box stores not so good. Indeed consumers do have choices. I just happen to think they are going to find the best ones in a paint store, not a box store.

And I have, when the paint was donated, used box store brand paint. Not a fun experience when used to working with better.

Last edited by user1007; 11-26-2012 at 12:10 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #10

Which Cabinet Paint?

Steven, where did you hear about Akzo wanting to buy FPoE?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
Paint Pro

Which Cabinet Paint?

fine paints of europe have an amazing line of products. who cares if akzo wants to buy them? akzo and sherwin are in a bidding war to buy out everyone. sherwin just purchased comex (kwal, frazee, colorwheel, etc.). what does that have to do with the paint in the can right now? you guys are straying way too far off topic

Expert Paint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchen cabinets, paint brands, recommendations, refacing