DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   cabinet maker's finish (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/cabinet-makers-finish-10085/)

jim_k 07-23-2007 08:16 AM

cabinet maker's finish
 
Does anybody know the proportions of latex paint to water-based polyurethane?

It is a finish that the pros use if the customer want their cabinets in paint rather than natural finish. Makes for harder surface and also easier to clean than just latex finish.

Thanks,
Jim K

poppameth 07-23-2007 12:19 PM

You'd be better off putting an acrylic floor finish on it. This should have the urethane already added in the proper amounts.

sirwired 07-23-2007 10:06 PM

I would think that mixing poly and paint would not be necessary when we have fine, hard, oil-like waterbourne acrylic gloss enamels like BM Impervo or SW ProClassic.

SirWired

Da Vinci 07-24-2007 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim_k (Post 54124)
Does anybody know the proportions of latex paint to water-based polyurethane?

It is a finish that the pros use if the customer want their cabinets in paint rather than natural finish. Makes for harder surface and also easier to clean than just latex finish.

Thanks,
Jim K

All the cabinet shops out here in the Bay Area of Northern California use the Sherwin Williams Conversion Varnish which is a 2 part acidic epoxy and can only be sprayed in a booth.

We do a lot of custom cabinetry- if we paint oil we use BM Ironclad Super Satin and have a beautiful hard finish. If we faux, we topcoat with clear acrylic urethanes because they don't yellow as easily.

Bay Area Painting Company

1655graff 08-03-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Vinci (Post 54438)
All the cabinet shops out here in the Bay Area of Northern California use the Sherwin Williams Conversion Varnish which is a 2 part acidic epoxy and can only be sprayed in a booth.

We do a lot of custom cabinetry- if we paint oil we use BM Ironclad Super Satin and have a beautiful hard finish. If we faux, we topcoat with clear acrylic urethanes because they don't yellow as easily.

Bay Area Painting Company

What do you use and do for fixed cabinets like kitchen cabinets?

Da Vinci 08-03-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1655graff (Post 56073)
What do you use and do for fixed cabinets like kitchen cabinets?

Same thing- BM Ironclad Oil, or acrylic urethane over faux. Most cabinets we work on are prefinished clear on interiors (except exposed boxes with glass doors).

Bay Area Painting Company and cabinet faux finishers


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved