Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 33

A/C on or off during exterior painting?

The real painting on the exterior of our house starts tomorrow! In an effort to keep the paint fumes OUTSIDE, I've taped off our older windows. (I don't think the newer wood ones leak much.)

A/C brings in outside air. I'm wondering if I should turn off the AC while they are actually doing the painting, then turn it back on in the evening. Or is it better to keep the air flowing as usual inside my house?

Angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,028

Most A/C units do not bring in outside air.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,276

What the heck kind of paint are you using?
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,140

Angelique, you are waaaaayyyyy overthinking all of this. You're gonna drive your painters to the looney bin with all these concerns.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (10-13-2013), jponto07 (10-13-2013), Live_Oak (10-14-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
What the heck kind of paint are you using?
ROFL! Actually very safe paint, because I have a lot of health issues, but that doesn't stop me from trying to cover all my bases.

But it turns out I never even had to think about this question, because the A/C CAN'T be on! My painter called and I asked him, and he said that they cover the outdoor units to protect them, so of course you can't run your A/C when your unit is covered!
Old 10-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Angelique, you are waaaaayyyyy overthinking all of this.
I think you'd better walk a mile in my shoes before making that statement! And the painters know exactly what kind of job this is. They have worked with me every step of the way (which is why I hired them in the first place.)
Old 10-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,140

Well, with very little info to go on, my thoughts were that you're over thinking this exterior paint job. Not so obviously, you have serious health issues which require special care in doing the painting. In no way, shape, or form was I making any sort of personal judgement. Trust me, I've been in your shoes. Stage 4 lung cancer for my wife of 25 years. She died last year, so, trust me, I know where you're at on this.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,276

Don't know what ROFL is but are you using a 0 voc paint not low voc but O voc? these paints have all volatile organic compounds removed Mythic is one brand but I don't know if they do exterior. These are for people with sensitivities.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Trust me, I've been in your shoes.
I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. I hope things are going well for you. And I do hope you're right that I'm worrying needlessly about some things. Finding out that I was stressing about things that didn't happen would be a "good problem to have." (Being surprised by something I hadn't considered would be bad.) Thanks for the support!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Don't know what ROFL is but are you using a 0 voc paint not low voc but O voc? these paints have all volatile organic compounds removed Mythic is one brand but I don't know if they do exterior. These are for people with sensitivities.
"ROFL" = "Rolling on the floor laughing." I thought your line was funny!

We're using AFM Safecoat paint, which has been around for over twenty years, and is still the only paint that was specifically formulated for people with chemical sensitivities. I've used several of their products, including interior paint, successfully.

I'm familiar with Mythic and I did test their exterior paint. What I found is that while Mythic becomes completely odor-free faster than AFM, AFM is far less smelly upon application and while drying. Since I'm not going to go around sticking my nose right up to the exterior of my house, I decided to stick with AFM. The painters have primed some stucco-repair areas on our walls with their transitional primer, and they really liked the product. At any rate, I know people who really like Mythic, and it has good reviews.

Untinted paint can be very, very close to no-VOC, but once you add a color, you're adding VOCs. That's not necessarily bad; very low-VOC paint is good, too! Also, you have to be careful of "greenwashing" -- paint companies finding ways to get around regulations and add VOCs.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
"

Untinted paint can be very, very close to no-VOC, but once you add a color, you're adding VOCs. That's not necessarily bad; very low-VOC paint is good, too! Also, you have to be careful of "greenwashing" -- paint companies finding ways to get around regulations and add VOCs.
I don't think that is true. Tints are not much more than a dye.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Traditional paint colorants do have relatively high VOC contents. In darker colors, the tints can add up to 100g/l of VOC.

The new Gennex water borne colorants now being used in some paints like Aura and Natura, are 0 VOC.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

You're right, Angelique, in that some colorants contain VOC's that make a non-VOC paint only LOW VOC as opposed to a 0 VOC product...and I don't know if this applies to your specific condition, but there are some people that have a chemical, solvent or allergic sensitivity to the other components in paint that don't contain VOC's...

I guess it also should be noted that just because a product is listed as 0 VOC (or VOC free), does not mean that it is solvent free - or, at least, in the sense that there are "exempt" solvents - glycol being one of them, that aren't measured when determining the amount of "allowable" VOC's in a product...and that a VOC designation is more an indication of environmental effect (affect?), than a personal health issue.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 10-14-2013 at 02:35 PM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 260

Most universal colorants are actually glycol-based, and can raise the VOC of the paint they are added to (depends on how much is added and what tint is used).
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will22 View Post

Most universal colorants are actually glycol-based, and can raise the VOC of the paint they are added to (depends on how much is added and what tint is used).
Right. It's basically alcohol so it can disolve in both oil and water based paints. I can see it raising the VOC but Angelique makes it sound like the only thing giving off the VOCs.