Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #1

Share |

Buying paint

Is there some sort of formula to use to calculate how much paint to need to buy.
Chavez2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #2

Buying paint

Square footage x number of intended coats of paint is a pretty good place to start. Give that information to the people at your paint store, along with the wall finish (not HD or Lowes) and they will tell you how much you need. Or you can find the information on the side of the can.
Gymschu (10-12-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #3

Buying paint

Most paints will say anywhere from 200 - 400 sq. ft. per gallon. If you have nice smooth drywall that has been previously painted, you would be closer to 300 - 400 sq. ft per gallon. If it's freshly primed drywall, you may get less per gallon. Also, substrates like concrete block, stucco, and textured walls/ceilings have coverages of about 200 sq. ft per gallon and sometimes less depending on HOW rough they are.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #4

Buying paint

It a newly constructed home and had the basic white finish I'm guessing that's the primer base. Expecting the walls to suck up the paint like a sponge.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:38 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Buying paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavez2049 View Post
It a newly constructed home and had the basic white finish I'm guessing that's the primer base. Expecting the walls to suck up the paint like a sponge.

If it is the RIGHT primer and not some cheap crap, that will not happen. Quality primes seal the wall so the paint will stick and not be absorbed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #6

Buying paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavez2049 View Post
Chavez, welcome. What you have now is the builder's flat, and it will probably be very absorptive. They're sometimes so that two coats of quality finish will not sufficiently seal the surface, and will leave a lackluster color and sheen, and possibly give problems with uniformity of the finish. I always recommend a full prime over builder's flat to seal the surface prior to finish. This knowledge was learned the hard way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #7

Buying paint

It's Sherman Williams paint this is where we were told to go get the free touch-up kit. So I'm hoping it shouldn't absorb the paint that much. Should I still prime the walls before I paint?? Thanks for all the insight.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #8

Buying paint

Doesn't really matter what brand your existing paint is....cheap builder's-flats exist in all companies! Some builders/painters even dilute THAT a little!!

So, in some ways, you're gonna be painting over quicksand!

As the others have said...RE-PRIME for the best result of your hard work. ESPECIALLY in this scenario!

If you re-prime, I'd aim for ~350sf/gal. with mid-to-top-line paints.
If you stay in the "low-end" range, don't expect much, if at all....over 300sf/gal. for a viable coat anyway!!

Do you know the exact SW paint-series your gonna be using?

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote