Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
Share |
Default

Buying house with Cedar Siding


Hello,

I am buying a house with cedar siding. At first I thought it was paint because it was peeling and cracking. After some reading I saw that solid stains can peel and crack also. This makes sense becasue it looked like very thin paint.

The house is 20 years old. I want to restain the house with latex Solid Color stain. What is the best way to remove the old solid stain?

I have read that power washing can damage the cedar. If this is done on a light setting though, wouldn't this be an option. I really dont want to scrap off the old stuff.

The color is grey and I want to stain it again with the same color. What are my options?

Looking at Behr stain, seems to be good for the money. How long would the Behr or Olympic Solid Stains Last? Can you just re-apply every 5-10 years?

Thank you,
mitch12533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY
 
housepaintingny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 946
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Buying house with Cedar Siding


Use a sodium percarbonate wood cleaning product. Apply the cleaner, let it dwell, use a nylon brush to agitate it and then rinse off with a power washer, using about 500psi. Scrape any loose/flaking stain that's remaining. We restore and stain a lot of cedar siding and log homes. I always use a power washer, but I use low pressure to the point that you can put your hand infront of the wand and it won't do anything to your hand. My solid stain preferances are Sherwin Williams, Sikkens and Cabott. I personally wouldn't use Behr, as I've seen there stain fail a lot. Olynpic I have used a few times, upon a customers request, but don't care for it.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
housepaintingny is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-05-2011), tcleve4911 (12-06-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Default

Buying house with Cedar Siding


I just want to say- NEVER test the power washer ( or an airless sprayer) by putting your hand in front of it...
Safety and all-
__________________
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (12-05-2011), oh'mike (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,511
Default

Buying house with Cedar Siding


Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch12533 View Post
Hello,

I am buying a house with cedar siding. At first I thought it was paint because it was peeling and cracking. After some reading I saw that solid stains can peel and crack also. This makes sense becasue it looked like very thin paint.

The house is 20 years old. I want to restain the house with latex Solid Color stain. What is the best way to remove the old solid stain?

I have read that power washing can damage the cedar. If this is done on a light setting though, wouldn't this be an option. I really dont want to scrap off the old stuff.

The color is grey and I want to stain it again with the same color. What are my options?

Looking at Behr stain, seems to be good for the money. How long would the Behr or Olympic Solid Stains Last? Can you just re-apply every 5-10 years?

Thank you,
Please, please do a search on this.

Do some research, don't just look at the price, pleeeese

I will say no more
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 6,655
Default

Buying house with Cedar Siding


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I just want to say- NEVER test the power washer ( or an airless sprayer) by putting your hand in front of it...
Safety and all-
I had a guy that lacerated his finger to the bone with a the red tip.

It was his first and last day.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
Default

Buying house with Cedar Siding


Thank you all for your feedback.

I had read Consumer Report article on Stains that is why I mentioned Behr.

Does Cabbot stain make a Latex Stain, I believe they are acrylic. I will look into the others.

Thanks for the suggestions on removing the old stain and also the safety tip. I was not aware they could do so much damage.

Is using the surface prep solution and pressure washer the suggested way to remove the old stain then? In this situation would a primer or sealer be recommended?
mitch12533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 24,483
Default

Buying house with Cedar Siding


Cabit makes an acrilic latex stain which is what you need. It breathes. If you were to use an oil stain the moisture excaping from the home may blister the paint.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,511
Default

Buying house with Cedar Siding


Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch12533 View Post
Thank you all for your feedback.

I had read Consumer Report article on Stains that is why I mentioned Behr.



Does Cabbot stain make a Latex Stain, I believe they are acrylic. I will look into the others.

Thanks for the suggestions on removing the old stain and also the safety tip. I was not aware they could do so much damage.

Is using the surface prep solution and pressure washer the suggested way to remove the old stain then? In this situation would a primer or sealer be recommended?
Don't believe a word of it
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13
Default

Buying house with Cedar Siding


Got it. Cabot Acrylic Latex stain

Water-based advanced 100% acrylic formula. Same price as others too.

One more question. Would you use a primer with this?
mitch12533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Painting Company, NY
 
housepaintingny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 946
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Buying house with Cedar Siding


Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch12533 View Post
Got it. Cabot Acrylic Latex stain

Water-based advanced 100% acrylic formula. Same price as others too.

One more question. Would you use a primer with this?
y

You will not have to prime. It doesn't have to be Cabbot, Sikkens, Sherwin Williams and Ben Moore all make quality acrylic stains. If you do use Cabbot I would use there ProVT solid stain line.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
housepaintingny is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where Cedar Siding Meets Shingles? echase Building & Construction 3 04-08-2010 05:11 PM
Asphalt shingle siding over cedar shakes Catguy Building & Construction 1 04-05-2010 09:10 PM
Need to restore faded cedar siding on ranch house Jimigunne Painting 1 02-23-2010 12:55 AM
Cedar siding: why can't I just let it weather? Ptron Building & Construction 4 02-19-2010 07:56 PM
Preventing rot in cedar siding.. observations and questions before paint 240sx4u Painting 3 11-03-2008 07:42 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.