Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #1

Share |

Buy a spray machine?

We are going to be putting our house up for sale this coming spring, 2014. I am a teacher, so I have this summer to get the place into shape. Almost every room needs to be painted. That includes at least two or three bedrooms, a family room, the living room, the dining room, and the kitchen. The garage needs paint, plus some of the exterior as well.

Additionally, we have a cabin that was badly damaged by Hurricane Sandy, and the insurance money ran out before we could do all of the repairs. The exterior still needs to be painted, plus two bedrooms. That is a lot of painting!

It's hard to imagine doing all of this on my own with just rollers and brushes. To make things a little more pleasant, I'm considering buying a sprayer in the $500-700 range, like a Graco ProX9 or 390. I've never used a sprayer and don't know anything about them. I have done quite a bit of painting the old fashioned way, have all of the tools already, and know what I'm doing, more or less.

I also have to paint all of my kitchen cabinets. I'm thinking that with all of the work I have to do, buying the sprayer would be worth it. I can always sell the thing when I'm done. Any comments or suggestions?
beautyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #2

Buy a spray machine?

All I can advise is that using a airless sprayer has a fairly steep learning curve. You can't just pick one up and start getting good results. I bought one, for similar reasons, years ago and it took me quite a while to learn how to use it and end up with good results. For interior work I found that, for me, by the time I got everything masked off, worried about the overpsray, painted with the sprayer and then got everything cleaned up, it was just easier and just as fast to use brushes and rollers. You can paint an amazing amount in a short time with an 18 inch roller.

For exterior work, again for me, masking off, fighting the hose while on a ladder and the clean up, I would rather use brushes and rollers. You will also use a lot more paint spraying then using rollers.

Now if I were painting an empty house, like new construction, then I would definitely use a sprayer, as you wouldn't need to worry about masking everything off and the overspray. Just my $.02.
retfr8flyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Buy a spray machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfr8flyr View Post
All I can advise is that using a airless sprayer has a fairly steep learning curve. You can't just pick one up and start getting good results. I bought one, for similar reasons, years ago and it took me quite a while to learn how to use it and end up with good results. For interior work I found that, for me, by the time I got everything masked off, worried about the overpsray, painted with the sprayer and then got everything cleaned up, it was just easier and just as fast to use brushes and rollers. You can paint an amazing amount in a short time with an 18 inch roller.

For exterior work, again for me, masking off, fighting the hose while on a ladder and the clean up, I would rather use brushes and rollers. You will also use a lot more paint spraying then using rollers.

Now if I were painting an empty house, like new construction, then I would definitely use a sprayer, as you wouldn't need to worry about masking everything off and the overspray. Just my $.02.
My opinion is 8flyr's 2 cents will save you $500-700 and alot of time and grief.

Best

EDIT: If you have alot of ceiling work and house is empty, or to be recarpeted, I do use a Wagner cheapy airless, like $150-200 (don't remember the name). But I don't even bother using it on walls.

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 06-07-2013 at 10:32 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #4

Buy a spray machine?

Good used unit via Craigslist. Use it for you projects. Sell it at or near what you paid for it.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #5

Buy a spray machine?

Beautyfish, you would be a lot better off putting the money towards hiring a pro to do some of the painting for you.Trust me a sprayer in the hands of someone inexperienced will do more damage in 5 minutes than you can fix in five days.
Gymschu (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #6

Buy a spray machine?

Great advice given so far. Spraying is great for high volume big projects. Not so great for occupied homes. Think of all the masking you will be doing. Anything that can get overspray on it needs covered in plastic. Rooms really need to be emptied. Is that really going to save you time? Plus, a quality paint job done with a sprayer needs back rolled anyway and you still have to cut in at the ceilings and at the baseboard. You really don't need a sprayer.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #7

Buy a spray machine?

Just my opinion but remember I'm a spray guy. Even if you brush and roll you will have to cover what furniture you don't move.Even if you b&r the ceilings you will need to cover the floor anyway. As for masking with the right tools (3M hand masker 3000) the entire room can be masked in 20 minutes to a 1/2 hour this includes doors and windows. Overspray-this can be minimized by using a smaller nozzle and a whip hose. Learning curve absolutely get the sprayer early buy some cheap paint get some large pieces of cardboard and practice. To paint the ceiling get a 2' extension to go on your spray gun and you can paint the whole ceiling from the floor no ladders. Clean-up place the pick-up tube on your sprayer in a bucket of water, remove the tip on your gun put the end of your gun in the paint bucket pull trigger. This will put the paint that is in the hose back in the can, When you see water start coming out quit, point gun in empty bucket and keep pulling trigger till the water is clear.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-08-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (06-08-2013)