DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bumping ceiling when painting walls

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  JMattero 
#1 ·
For some reason I bumped the newly painted ceiling several times while painting the walls. Hope Im not the only homeowner who does that.

Part is working in a small bathroom. The other reason I must not have painted a wide enough strip when I cut in the ceiling. Its eery how fast paint dries when it get on something other than what you intended.

Glad I had a spare roller. This past 2 yrs of painting I must not have been cleaning the roller well enough. Did my last coat, on the last room today (yay me) and my roller didn't roll.

#3 ·
That sure does happen--
One technique that works well is to cut and roll over the cut with a 'hot dog roller'--this evens up the cut and gives you a 5 inch border--

The hot dog roller I use has a plastic button on the end--if you keep that button clean--you can accidently bump the ceiling without harm.

#4 · (Edited)
Mike, thats a great hint. Thanks

Don't suppose you have any hints for cleaning my formica countertop?

First problem is that I got my tapes mixed up and used an inferior blue tape (now marked 'bad tape') and it left a residue that I wasn't able to heat, with hair dryer, and get off. Plus some Gardz dripped thru the newspaper I put over the counter and Im having trouble getting that off.

Tomorrow Ill try spraying with WD40 but hope a pc of cardboard keeps it off my new walls.

Thanks

#8 · (Edited)
. The last room to be painted is now finished, thanks to all the help on here. Realized darker colors, like this, require more care on edges compared to the pale colors I used in the rest of the house. What a nightmare the wallpaper removal was.

Next big project is porch ceiling, but debating if I need to hire someone. Saving that decision for another day.

(Weird how photos now reverse. They didn't use to do this)

#11 ·
Removing Gardz and Tape residue from Formica

Try using denatured alcohol first. That will usually remove any adhesive residue, as well as removing any latex paint. If that doesn't work, I usually go to acetone. However, I am not sure if acetone is compatible with Formica, so test in an inconspicuous area first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.