Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Do it yourselfer

Share |

Bubbling and peeling

We just moved into our house about four months ago and I started painting all the rooms including the ceilings. I used primer for the walls before I painted since I didn't know what kind of paint they used before. But when it came to the ceiling I just used ceiling paint assuming they used ceiling paint also. Well within minutes of paint the ceiling it started to bubble and peel and chips of paint were coming off on the roller. This happened on all the ceilings in all the rooms. What happened and what do I do next?

sjaconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #2

Bubbling and peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaconski View Post
We just moved into our house about four months ago and I started painting all the rooms including the ceilings. I used primer for the walls before I painted since I didn't know what kind of paint they used before. But when it came to the ceiling I just used ceiling paint assuming they used ceiling paint also. Well within minutes of paint the ceiling it started to bubble and peel and chips of paint were coming off on the roller. This happened on all the ceilings in all the rooms. What happened and what do I do next?

I assume you meant the old paint was chipping and cracking... Assuming old paint, then it is simply a matter of surface prep. Start scraping, spackling, sanding, patching, etc to have a solid surface to work with. However, peeling paint on the inside is a sign of something worse like moisture. If I had to guess, you are in a single story home and the attic is not ventilated/insulated properly or no vapor barrier .... thus causing condensation and paint deterioration over time. Just a guess though.

Last edited by Bubbagump; 10-14-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #3

Bubbling and peeling

Do you have a textured ceiling? If so, it is possible that the texture was never primed and/or never painted, and is so old that your new paint is soaking into it and pulling it off the ceiling.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
Do it yourselfer

Bubbling and peeling

No... they was not textured ceilings. It is a two story home and the problem accurred on the first floor ceilings.

Last edited by sjaconski; 10-15-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #5

Bubbling and peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaconski View Post
No... they was not textured ceilings. It is a two story home and the problem accurred on the first floor ceilings.
In that case, I can only guess the paint is absolutely ancient or is perhaps over old wall paper and surface prep is the only answer.

Last edited by Bubbagump; 10-15-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:03 AM   #6

Bubbling and peeling

The thought of Calsomine paint is crossing my mind.

Calsimine, or Kalsomine, paint was used before the turn of the last century, in the late 1800's. I know little about it, but I do know that the problem was that it used very little binder, so it had poor adhesion. The problem is that such paint will peel very easily, and about the only good way to deal with it is to remove it.

You should also be aware that latex paints develop tension in the paint film as they dry. It is this tension that most likely pulled the Calsomine paint (if it is calsomine paint) off the ceiling. Oil or alkyd paints DON'T develop any tension at all in them as they cure, so the second option that you might consider is to switch to an oil based paint for the ceilings. However, I have a feeling that doing that would just delay the inevitable, your ceiling paint peeling off at the plaster/Calsimine interface.

Here's one article written about it:

http://www.plasterlord.com/notebook/fcalcimine2.htm

I clicked on the "I want to learn more" link, and it opens a page where he tries to sell you a book. I read the whole article a few years ago, and he basically says that the two options are to remove the calsimine paint or to use an oil based primer and oil based top coats instead of latex primers and paints.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 10-16-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #7

Bubbling and peeling

Urgent Warning: If the paint really is old, there is approx. a 100% chance that it contains lead. Take the precautions appropriate for where you live before sanding or scraping that stuff.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Do it yourselfer

Bubbling and peeling

The house was tested for lead when we bought it and it came up negitive. And the house is only about 50 years old. One thing that just came to mind is that I always use water based paint. If I didn't prime the ceiling and there was originally oil based paint would it peel and bubble if I used water based over the oil?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #9

Bubbling and peeling

That can certainly do it.

from the Paint Quality Institute

Quote:
Question
Can I paint over oil base exterior paint with a latex paint?

Answer
Yes, you should be able to use a top quality exterior latex paint over oil based paint, if the surface is well prepared. (However, if the old paint consists of a buildup of say 5 or more coats of old oil paint, the safest approach is to continue with oil, because the latex paint can lift the old oil paint if not adhering well.) All dirt, mildew and loose paint should be removed. Sand any glossy areas to eliminate the gloss and get maximum adhesion from the new paint. NOTE: do not sand or otherwise remove any old paint if it may contain lead. Call the EPA at 1-800-424-LEAD for guidance. Some quality exterior latex paint may be applied directly to clean, sound oil-based paint; but check the product directions, as some manufacturers will require a primer, either latex or oil-based.
I know they reference exterior paint in this, but the same applies on the interior.

Last edited by Bubbagump; 10-16-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #10

Bubbling and peeling

Tough to say exactly what is happeneing there but I would take a look at some of the chips that have come off. Does it look like it is just paint that has chipped off or does it have some of the ceiling coming off with it as well? Also, is this drywall or plaster?

Matt

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote