Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #1

Share |

bubbling paint

I hired a painter to remove wallpaper and paint the walls. He removed the wallpaper and primed the walls with oil based primer and applied semi gloss paint. The paint has bubbled and sagged and he applied mre coats of paint and he has now applied seven coats of paint. It is now worse than ever. Please help

Lisa0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

bubbling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa0711 View Post
I hired a painter to remove wallpaper and paint the walls. He removed the wallpaper and primed the walls with oil based primer and applied semi gloss paint. The paint has bubbled and sagged and he applied mre coats of paint and he has now applied seven coats of paint. It is now worse than ever. Please help
hmm...let's get this straight. He applied a coat of oil based primer and a coat of semi-gloss paint, right? OK, now the semi-gloss bubbled and sagged, so he applies a second coat (I assume he corrected the bubbles and sags)...then he did this again (3rd coat)? ...and again (4th coat) ...and again (5th coat) ...and again (6th coat) ...and again (7th coat)?

I'm thinking one more coat just may do the trick...

I'm kidding. Unfortunately, we don't have enough info to determine the definitive cause of this problem, but I'm kind of leaning toward the fact that this "painter" really doesn't know what he's doing and is actually making matters worse.

ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
chrisn (04-30-2012), jsheridan (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #3

bubbling paint

This op HAS to be joking......right...??!?!!?

Unless the painter that was hired was a Labrador-Retriever or something?!?!?

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

bubbling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faron79 View Post
This op HAS to be joking......right...??!?!!?

Unless the painter that was hired was a Labrador-Retriever or something?!?!?

Faron

Labs are smarter than that
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

bubbling paint

Why are you applying semi gloss on a wall to begin with?????
Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
Learning Things Every Day

bubbling paint

You hired the wrong guy.

Paint that has been applied much too thick can bubble and sag, and can do the same over poorly prepped/primed patch work. The problem could be one or the other, or neither.

As you can see, fighting fire with fire isn't going to work. Slapping more paint on the walls is the lazy, half-ass way of trying to 'fix' the problem, when in reality it's only exacerbating it.

It's quite possible that, to do it right, everything will have to be sanded off and started over. Without complete and proper preparation, nothing else matters.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #7
ltd

bubbling paint

was the paper backing removed ,or did he wash all the paste of the wall you really have to look at it touch it feel it to know for sure
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #8

bubbling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa0711 View Post
Lisa,

Please don't think any of us are making fun at your expense - on this forum, most of us are kind of sensitive to being associated with that type of so-called painter, who takes your money but doesn't have a clue on how to paint...There are times when an un-explained problem may occur and even a true professional will apply a second application in hopes of a simple repair - but no professional painter would ever apply a 3rd coat after the first and second failed to perform properly (let alone a 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th app)...Doing the same thing over and over, again and again, but expecting different results is the very definition of insanity...

Jay 78 has it right - after that many coats, it's probably going to require removal by sanding - and start all over. The project you've described is not an un-paintable surface. Proper surface prep is key, and the application of proper prime and finish should really be the easiest part of the job. Your painter has already proven incapable of doing the least difficult task of this project - the problem is your painter - Cut your losses and find someone more qualified.

Last edited by ric knows paint; 04-30-2012 at 10:48 AM.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #9

bubbling paint

If I may, there is an element that hasn't been addressed... You must neutralize the Ph after stripping the wallpaper and residue. I don't care how smooth it is, if you havent neutralized the Ph, the paint or primer is going to "pop." easiest wat to go about this is a quick vinegar wash once the residue is removed. Grab a bucket, dump a small bottle of vinegar in with a warm gallon of water and go over everything with a saturated sponge or a light spray mist. This will neutralize the Ph. Give ample dry time, and either prime with a oil or shellac primer. My professional opinion is that the Zinsser products are far superior to Sherwin Williams products or your big box store big lines like Behr or Olympic. They spread well and my 35 years of experience in remodeling historical homes, I've never had a better product. Stay away from the lates primers. If there is any dust whatsoever, the primer and paint will pop.
Scottswoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

bubbling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottswoops View Post
If I may, there is an element that hasn't been addressed... You must neutralize the Ph after stripping the wallpaper and residue. I don't care how smooth it is, if you havent neutralized the Ph, the paint or primer is going to "pop." easiest wat to go about this is a quick vinegar wash once the residue is removed. Grab a bucket, dump a small bottle of vinegar in with a warm gallon of water and go over everything with a saturated sponge or a light spray mist. This will neutralize the Ph. Give ample dry time, and either prime with a oil or shellac primer. My professional opinion is that the Zinsser products are far superior to Sherwin Williams products or your big box store big lines like Behr or Olympic. They spread well and my 35 years of experience in remodeling historical homes, I've never had a better product. Stay away from the lates primers. If there is any dust whatsoever, the primer and paint will pop.

Does this depend on what you are stripping with, or only apply to real plaster?
I have been stripping paper for going on 30 years and have never put any vinager or anything else on to neutralize it and have never had a problem that I know of.