Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #1

Share |

bubbles and floetrol

So, I have a room with the pvc wainscot. Primed with 123. Used a brush in the beads and finished with a 6" foam roller. It went great(which is why i asked about foam rollers for the walls a few threads down. i am going with a regular 3/8" cover now).
Got Pro Classic, gloss, added floetrol(8 oz/gal) and proceeded to top coat the wains. The roller left bubbles everywhere, had to tip it off with a brush.
Are the bubbles from using Pro Classic gloss? Or the floetrol? I had a nice finish with the 123 primer with the foam roller.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

bubbles and floetrol

Could be the Floetrol, could be the roller sleeve
Wainscoting looks better brushed out anyway, so....
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #3

bubbles and floetrol

I've only gotten the bubbles you describe when using very old latex paints. See if Sherwin Williams can give you any idea of how long the paint you bought had been sitting on the shelf.

Floetrol, if anything, would act to minimize that problem. By thinning the paint with Floetrol, you increase it's drying time. That allows the bubbles to float to the surface and burst before the paint is too stiff to self level the resulting crater.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #4

bubbles and floetrol

ProClassic is a pretty thick paint designed pretty much exclusively for trim. It may not be designed to be rolled. I'd just brush it (instead of rolling) and be done with it. Use a large brush to help it go faster; a 4" would do the trick nicely.

USEFUL PROCLASSIC TIP: Brush once, back brush once or twice, and leave it alone until it's time to put on the next coat. Any efforts to "thicken up" "thin spots" will result in a gloppy mess; and the "thin spots" disappear as the paint dries. (It's almost as if it gets more opaque as it dries out.)

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #5

bubbles and floetrol

Well, since it was gloss maybe it had been around awhile, but this store seems busy so...?
Anyway, I ended up using the roller to get the paint on the surface, then brushed it out. Had to use the brush to get in the beads anyway. Leveled out and looks nice.
Even with the floetrol it seemed to set up fast and if I worked it too much it definitely got gloppy.
Makes me appreciate real painters!

Thanks for the comments.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #6

bubbles and floetrol

Yes, it is a real PITA to work with if you aren't used to it, but I have found the finished result to be well worth it. (It also works great on shelves, which are not suited to paint at all.) The trick to quality results is to not worry about brush marks during your fast-as-you-can coating process. As long as you don't mess with it after it sets up (which, yes, isn't very long), the brush marks level out as the paint dries.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #7

bubbles and floetrol

Use Latex Extender with Pro Classic. It works better than floetrol for this type of application and is cheaper too.
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote