Bubbles - Painting - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting


CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #16
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 5,145
Rewards Points: 818
Default

Re: Bubbles


To add, it is possible that there was some sort of contaminant on the door before it was painted and the heat factor is just exposing that problem. We all can relate to the fact that factory-applied primers on doors like that are notorious for their poor quality. That could have been part of the problem here as well.

Remember too, that the sun (as mentioned before) only hits a small part of that door as it passes overhead. I mean, the UV rays and the accompanying heat may only hit directly on that part of the door for, what, maybe 10-20 minutes a day? Over time that would be enough, IMO, to bubble up the paint much like a magnifying glass used to burn up insects like we did when we were kids.........

Advertisement

__________________
Giving us your general location helps us better help you!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 337
Rewards Points: 674
Default

Re: Bubbles


From SW website:

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...DIR-BLISTERING
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:42 AM   #18
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 15,817
Rewards Points: 4,562
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Re: Bubbles


Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
So from your link to SW, here are what they list.

POSSIBLE CAUSE

  • Heat blistering caused by painting in direct sunlight on a surface that is too warm.
  • Moisture blistering can be caused by the migration of water through an interior wall to the exterior, thus pushing the paint off of the surface.
  • Application of oil-based or alkyd paint over a damp or wet surface.
  • Exposure of latex paint film to dew, high humidity, moisture, or rain shortly after paint has dried, especially if there was inadequate surface preparation and/or poor ventilation in areas such as kitchens and bathrooms.
  • Damp basements.
  • Moisture seeping into the home through the exterior walls.
  • Insufficient surface preparation, painting over a contaminant that the coating cannot adhere to.
Seems like the items in bold are the only real options here as mentioned previously.

Even it was was improperly prepped, the heat would surely exacerbate that and foster the failure.
Gymschu likes this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Old 01-11-2017, 07:50 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 337
Rewards Points: 674
Default

Re: Bubbles


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
So from your link to SW, here are what they list.

POSSIBLE CAUSE

  • Heat blistering caused by painting in direct sunlight on a surface that is too warm.
  • Moisture blistering can be caused by the migration of water through an interior wall to the exterior, thus pushing the paint off of the surface.
  • Application of oil-based or alkyd paint over a damp or wet surface.
  • Exposure of latex paint film to dew, high humidity, moisture, or rain shortly after paint has dried, especially if there was inadequate surface preparation and/or poor ventilation in areas such as kitchens and bathrooms.
  • Damp basements.
  • Moisture seeping into the home through the exterior walls.
  • Insufficient surface preparation, painting over a contaminant that the coating cannot adhere to.
Seems like the items in bold are the only real options here as mentioned previously.

Even it was was improperly prepped, the heat would surely exacerbate that and foster the failure.
Up to Post #16, the only thing previously mentioned was heat and that alone doesn't make a bubble.
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Wyoming
Posts: 5,843
Rewards Points: 2,016
Default

Re: Bubbles


A drop of water on the glass will act as a magnifying glass, if direct sunshine hits it before it evaporates.

This redirected sunlight will concentrate on the paint and sure will blister it, before it burns through it.


ED
Windows on Wash likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 337
Rewards Points: 674
Default

Re: Bubbles


Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
A drop of water on the glass will act as a magnifying glass, if direct sunshine hits it before it evaporates.

This redirected sunlight will concentrate on the paint and sure will blister it, before it burns through it.


ED
Do you get blisters on your skin while sweating in sunlight?
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Wyoming
Posts: 5,843
Rewards Points: 2,016
Default

Re: Bubbles


Totally different scenario.

And I will not dive into this COW-PIE with you.


ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 337
Rewards Points: 674
Default

Re: Bubbles


Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Totally different scenario.

ED
Nope! Water refracts sunlight.
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 803
Rewards Points: 1,355
Default

Re: Bubbles


The Sherwin-Williams page only mentions excessive heat during application. But excessive heat at a later date will also make paint blister. Ever strip paint with a heat gun? And some paints are more resistant to heat than others. Ever hear of engine paint? I'm just going to sand it down and try a different product with plenty of dry time between coats. Apparently Resilience is not so resilient.
mathmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #25
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 15,817
Rewards Points: 4,562
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Re: Bubbles


Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
Do you get blisters on your skin while sweating in sunlight?
I guess that analogy would make better sense if you skin was comprised of a bunch of volatile organic compounds...maybe.

Not sure about your skin, but mine is not made up of such things.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #26
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 15,817
Rewards Points: 4,562
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Re: Bubbles


Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
Up to Post #16, the only thing previously mentioned was heat and that alone doesn't make a bubble.
Does heat cause VOC to break down and off gas?

Tell me again how excessive heat might not bubble a finish.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #27
Anonymous Tard
 
getrex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 200
Rewards Points: 16
Default

Re: Bubbles


My money is still on Gremlins. Short, sweaty Gremlins.
de-nagorg likes this.
getrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 337
Rewards Points: 674
Default

Re: Bubbles


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Does heat cause VOC to break down and off gas?

Tell me again how excessive heat might not bubble a finish.
Now your talking! Heat is the catalyst for VOC or moisture to form a gas. Heat isn't the cause, it's an underlying problem.

You wouldn't want to put a torch to a seal container but there'd be no problem if it's under a vacuum.
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #29
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 15,817
Rewards Points: 4,562
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Re: Bubbles


I wasn't sure a more detailed explanation was necessary in this case.

And the root cause of the failure is....and still is....excessive heat.

The unless the OP can provide some more insight to indicate that focused solar energy was the main culprit and the reason for the specific location, I will defer to what is the regularly observed root cause...excessive heat via a trapped and unvented air space.

As to the specific location of the bubbles, any number of situational, material, application, and environmental factors could have affected the the outcome to create the failure in that specific location.

I will choose not to delve into an investigation that is meaningless to the net outcome and prescriptive repairs.

Strip, prep, re-paint, and vent the storm door.
Gymschu likes this.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with bubbles in oil base paint ezemyr1 Painting 7 10-17-2016 05:38 AM
Paint Bubbles Moxified Painting 4 04-12-2013 07:06 AM
bubbles in new drywall mud gailquilter2 Drywall & Plaster 16 11-04-2012 06:40 AM
Millions of tiny bubbles John_W Plumbing 0 10-06-2011 10:10 AM
bubbles in tape BlueBSH Drywall & Plaster 1 11-05-2010 11:20 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1